Funds Associate (5yrs+ PQE) - Singapore
Compelling opportunity has become available for an ambitious funds lawyer (5yrs+ PQE) to join a pre-eminent international law firm in Singapore, taking a front seat in the development of their nascent funds practice. Working in tandem with the head of group and senior colleagues across the firms international network, the incumbent will be engaged on a wide range of matters, to include:
- advising sponsors in Asia on the establishment of private investment funds across various asset classes and jurisdictions, with a particular focus on private equity, venture capital, real estate, infrastructure, hedge and special situations funds.
- advising on various non-traditional private investment fund setups such as platform structures, hybrid funds, club deals and open-ended illiquid funds.
- advising institutional and non-institutional LPs from Asia, Europe and the US, including sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, pension funds, corporations, family offices and fund of funds on their set up of private funds.
- advising on the licensing and ongoing regulatory requirements of operating a fund management business in Singapore, as well as assisting with the submission of fund management licence applications to the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- advising family offices on a myriad of regulatory and structuring issues, including the establishment of single- and multi-family offices, and their investments into third-party managed funds.
To be considered, it is expected that the ideal applicant will have developed their experience to date within a top tier international law firm to include some or all of the following:
- Establishing private investment funds in a variety of jurisdictions and legal forms, including the Cayman Islands, Singapore, Luxembourg, Delaware and Mauritius
- The Singapore regulatory framework relating to the operation of a fund management business, including licensing (and exemption) requirements under the Securities and Futures Act (the “SFA”), and prospectus disclosure exemptions under the SFA
- US law requirements relating to the offering of fund interests to US investors, including a working knowledge of the US tax considerations for fund structuring, Investment Advisers Act registration and exemption statuses, ERISA exemptions and the Commodities Trading Act licences and exemptions for commodity pool operators and commodity trading advisers
- AIFMD requirements relating to the marketing of funds in EU member states
- Establishment of both open-ended and closed-end private investment funds
- Negotiations of fund documentation (whether as GP counsel or LP counsel)
As a Managing Associate in this team, you’ll be deeply engaged in the business, from running matters independently and leading on complex legal issues through to nurturing client relationships, managing teams and driving financial profitability. Further, It is envisaged that you will be a potential future leader of the firm and be driven by developing your own business case and achieving partnership.
This opportunity will appeal greatly to those lawyers looking to take a big step forward in their career while also benefitting from an attractive financial package.
To learn more, please contact James O’Brien in confidence at email@example.com or apply via this website.
James O'Brien has recruited across numerous Asian jurisdictions for 20+ years, working with many of the leading international law firms in the region, placing lawyers from NQ through to Senior / Equity Partners & Teams. He is often instructed directly by Partners at these firms, with whom he has developed strong relationships. James is always keen to hear from candidates looking to make a strategic career move and happy to offer assistance / guidance in this regard.