Construction Associate - Legal 100 / Thames Valley (Hybrid)
New! - Our client is a leading Legal 100 firm with an outstanding reputation for all construction, engineering, and infrastructure matters. Due to growth, an exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Construction Associate (or Senior Associate) to join their Chambers-rated team and assist on a broad range of hybrid matters based in their Thames Valley office.
We are looking for team players with experience on the contentious side of adjudication, arbitration and litigation in the TCC as well as the ability to give practical and commercial advice at an early stage where projects are in distress;
- Typical disputes include: interim and final payments disputes, professional negligence claims and issues of delay and defective works.
On the non-contentious side, individuals should have experience of leading and advising on transactions, drafting and negotiating construction contracts and ancillary agreements and providing ongoing project advice;
- The team act for employers (corporates and high net worth individuals), construction professionals, contractors and sub-contractors and the successful candidate can look forward to a broad range of quality work across various sectors;
- There are opportunities for career progression as the team continues to grow and all team members are encouraged to develop their own practices and contacts;
- All team members are encouraged to participate in business development and the team regularly host case law updates and workshops for clients and contacts, as well as marketing generally to the industry.
- The successful individual should be interested in and have an understanding of the construction and engineering sector and in turn will be fully supported to develop their own practices and contacts as well as ensuring the continued success and growth of the team and wider firm.
- Candidates should have good inter-personal skills, strong academics and high quality experience – typically with a major City or leading national/regional practice.
Any prior knowledge of JCT form contracts, their amendments and market norms would be beneficial.
The team advise on bespoke and complex agreements, procurement and contracting strategies, funding and financing agreements, contract tendering and frameworks and security documentation including advance payment bonds.
The clients might include large developers, construction companies, or corporate owner/occupiers. the team has also been instructed by Lloyds market insurers in the defence of claims against construction entities.
- There will be an opportunity to run adjudications and court-based disputes with a high degree of autonomy (with support).
- There will be some opportunities to perform non-contentious construction work i.e. the drafting and negotiation of construction documents.
- Work might involve assisting our real estate colleagues on the construction aspects of development transactions including development obligations, warranties and copyright issues.
- Take responsibility for his/her own cases, and be happy to develop good working relationships with clients;
- Ability to bounce ideas off colleagues, and ask questions
- Carefully analyse information and reach sound decisions;
- Seek to recognise the commercial drivers and react accordingly;
- Recognise issues and problems that may arise and adapt (keeping clients and colleagues informed where necessary); and be able to listen and communicate effectively and succinctly both orally and in writing.
The role is primarily contentious and will therefore involve adjudication, mediation, litigation and risk management. However, there may also be an opportunity for some non-contentious drafting work.
Commercial and real estate litigators who have a genuine interest in developing into construction dispute specialists will also be considered. A number of the construction partners and team members have previously worked in-house for major industry players, and so candidates with backgrounds in private practice or industry are equally of interest.
The team have a number of fee-earners and partners highly ranked in the legal directories and the firm are recognised for their collegiate and supportive culture. This position would suit an ambitious individual looking for city quality work with greater flexibility for work-life balance.
You can expect to advise employers: construction professionals; contractors and sub-contractors which will bring exposure across a broad range of matters. Business development and marketing activity is encouraged at all levels.
A highly competitive financial package is on offer + transparent career progression framework + agile working.
To apply, please submit your CV via the link below or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Construction In-House Partner jobs in Buckinghamshire
- Energy In-House Partner jobs in Buckinghamshire
- Insurance/Reinsurance In-House Partner jobs in Buckinghamshire
- Litigation/Dispute Resolution In-House Partner jobs in Buckinghamshire
- PPP/PFI/Commercial projects In-House Partner jobs in Buckinghamshire