CORPORATE (5 - 7 PQE) (BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS) (US$160K - US$190K) (8% TAX)
This is an excellent opportunity for a high calibre mid to senior level corporate lawyer wishing to pursue their career with a leading global offshore firm in the Caribbean. You will need to be UK admitted and have gained between 5 - 7 years' post-qualification experience at a leading onshore or offshore firm. The role will offer you challenging and high profile work and you will be working closely with colleagues across the corporate team. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Drafting and negotiating transactional documentation including: complex memoranda and articles of association and other equity documents; complex legal opinions relating to corporate/finance transactions; complex security documentation such as equitable and legal mortgages for high value financing transactions; and sale and purchase agreements
- Liaising with registered agents with regards to filings in connection with corporate and finance transactions involving BVI entities
- Overseeing the progress of the incorporation of entities in connection with major transactions
- Undertaking research into legal and regulatory questions
- Drafting memoranda of advice on legal or regulatory questions
- Direct client and onshore counsel contact
- Providing a first point of contact for clients when the partner is out of the office
- Leading client transactions of a corporate and finance nature
- Providing some support of a corporate or finance nature to partners in connection with the investment funds practice
- Coordinating search requests and reviewing resolutions and memorandum and articles of association for the purposes of the firm providing legal opinions
- Advising on corporate legal documents including share charges, instruments of transfer, resolutions, memoranda and articles of association, shareholders' agreements and other related documentation
- Playing a key role in managing client relationships on a day-to-day basis
- Assisting in business development for the firm, including the creation of client updates for publication and presenting at industry and firm seminars
- Participating in the firm's internal knowledge-exchange and generation programmes; and
- Ensuring that all time recording and client billing activities are completed accurately and on time
Winchester Search is a boutique independent search and selection firm serving the offshore, Asian, Australian and London markets. Simon Scott, head of our offshore practice, has specialised in recruiting lawyers for offshore law firms since 2009 including working in Grand Cayman for four and a half years during this period. He is a Cambridge University graduate who initially practised as an employment lawyer before switching to legal recruitment in 1996. With over a decade's experience of the offshore market behind him, he has forged strong relationships with managing partners, heads of department and senior HR personnel at all the major offshore firms.
There are several compelling reasons why a significant number of lawyers from the world’s leading international law firms across the globe decide every year to make a combined career and lifestyle move to Cayman, BVI and Bermuda:
Due to the low tax rates you can earn more than at Magic or Silver Circle firms in London whilst working more predictable hours, still being able to undertake interesting, high-value work on behalf of major blue-chip clients, and having greater client contact and opportunity for travel and business development.
Quality of life
(a) Superb climate (average daily high temperatures range from 29C - 33C in Grand Cayman; 28C – 31C in BVI; and 20C – 30C in Bermuda).
(b) Much shorter commute to work (whether on foot or by bike, scooter or car).
(c) Being able to live in close proximity to the ocean.
(d) Far more relaxed nature of island life.
(e) Extremely picturesque surroundings where there is virtually zero air pollution.
(f) The climate lends itself to participation in sport and outdoor activities, whether water sports and activities (swimming, snorkelling, paddle-boarding, kitesurfing, scuba diving, fishing, sailing, jet-skiing, canoeing), team sports (there are leagues for football, cricket, rugby, hockey etc) or individual sports and activities (cycling, jogging, crossfit, outdoor yoga, golf, tennis).
Ease of transition
All the islands have English as their main language and have a very friendly, lively and cosmopolitan expat community (circa 50% of the population in Bermuda, BVI and Cayman are expats drawn from every corner of the globe), which makes settling into island life much easier. In addition, no exams are necessary to get admitted and practise in Cayman, BVI or Bermuda.
Please note that we are only able to respond to applicants who satisfy the criteria set out in the job spec above and whom we believe will be of interest to our clients.