NBA: Counsel - Compliance
Play a critical role in the operation of the NBA's global third-party due diligence program with responsibility for leading the due diligence process across Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. This position may be based in London or Johannesburg, with travel between the two office locations and to NBA HQ in New York.
- Lead due diligence on new and existing third parties in the EMEA region in accordance with the NBA's policies and procedures, with first line responsibility for assessing and advising legal, regulatory, and reputational risk.
- Review and critically analyze relevant deal terms, third-party information, and risk reports.
- Proactively troubleshoot and/or determine the need for more thorough investigation or additional information.
- Draft reports that succinctly summarize findings and provide a recommended course of action.
- Coordinate and partner with regional business lawyers and business teams.
- Effectively track and communicate the status of open third-party issues.
- Maintain broad knowledge of best practices and trends in third-party risk review.
- Lead regional due diligence training and provide ongoing guidance to business teams.
- Provide ongoing guidance to the business on complying with the NBA's Code of Conduct and other policies, and lead regional training on the same
- Expertise conducting third-party due diligence reviews.
- Knowledge of and experience advising clients on the FCPA, the UK Bribery Act, sanctions laws, and other compliance-related laws and regulations.
- Understanding of compliance best practices.
- Demonstrated experience balancing commercial goals and risk, with an ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Strong analytical, writing, and verbal communication skills, with an exceptional level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work autonomously, accurately, and efficiently while balancing a high-volume workload.
- Experience working collaboratively in cross-border environments with legal colleagues and business clients.
- Robust proactive problem-solving skills and ability to identify and facilitate solutions.
- Minimum 8 years' PQE or post-admission experience gained at both a top-tier multinational law firm and multi-national company.
- Minimum of 2 years working in a compliance function with independent responsibility for third-party due diligence.
- Experience supporting Africa is required.
Educational Background Required
- Law degree from a top tier university in US, UK, or Africa.
- Qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales and/or admitted as an attorney in South Africa or admitted to the NY bar (or other US jurisdiction).