General Counsel & Company Secretary - British Business Bank - Attractive Package and Benefits
The UK Government established the British Business Bank (BBB) in 2014 as a long-term institution, charged with ensuring that financial markets in the UK can service the needs of UK SMEs and mid-sized businesses. The mission of the Bank is to drive sustainable growth and prosperity across the UK by improving access to finance for small businesses, enabling them to succeed in the transition to a net zero economy, and change the structure of the finance markets for smaller businesses and mid-caps, so these markets work more effectively and dynamically.
The Bank’s equity programmes have involvement in over half of all UK unicorn status businesses, and the Start Up Loan company has lent over £900m supporting more than 100,000 new companies. Since the Chancellor announced the establishment of a £2.5bn subsidiary, British Patient Capital, at Budget 2017, the Bank has become one of the biggest investors in venture capital within the UK.
BBB are looking to appoint a new General Counsel & Company Secretary (GC & CoSec) to be a key part of the strategic development of this unique, growing, and changing institution.
The General Counsel & Company Secretary is critical to ensuring the long-term success of the Bank and will play a significant leadership role, reporting directly to the CEO.
The appointee will be expected to:
- Provide strategic legal advice on all aspects of the mandate and operational issues, covering governance, financial crime risk, regulatory, corporate, dispute management, and institutional legal matters.
- Act as a trusted impartial advisor to the Senior Management Team and as custodian of the Bank’s integrity through incisive counsel.
- Lead on Fraud and Financial Crime strategy, acting as the Exco lead for the Fraud and Financial Crime team, including its staff and financial resources.
- Lead and ensure the efficient and effective management of the Company Secretariat.
- The services provided by the General Counsel and Company Secretary guide both organisational priority-setting and decision-making within BBB.
- Lead on the Bank’s involvement in Public Enquiries (e.g. HMG’s Covid Response).
The required experience and personal qualities include:
- You will be an experienced leader who has demonstrable experience in leading a complex legal and governance function, managing change, and with a track record of building strong corporate governance.
- As well as being an experienced lawyer, some public law experience is essential.
- You will be able to demonstrate a good understanding of financial services, the management of fraud and financial crime risk, and the main components of business activity undertaken by the Bank, as well as the bigger picture, such as political pressures and the bank’s development objectives.
- You will have an in-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organisations.
- You will have the personal qualities required to develop strong stakeholder relationships.
Inclusion is at the heart of what BBB does. Promoting and sustaining diversity in the Bank’s people and ideas will be vital to its success. Appointments will be made on merit, with regard to maintaining the breadth of experience and expertise required, and reflecting diversity in the broadest sense: to embrace different perspectives, characteristics and lived experience, as well as being broadly representative of the nations and regions of the UK.
We are looking for individuals who have a genuine interest in the strategy and mission behind BBB, and the economic drivers as to why this model makes sense for the UK economy.
For further information, and to apply, please visit www.odgers.com/89015
The closing date for applications is midnight on Monday 5 June 2023