Senior Legal Counsel
5 days left
- Experience Level
- Senior Level
Senior Legal Counsel
Contract Term: Permanent
Location: London (Hybrid working)
Salary: Upwards of £60,000 plus performance based bonus, generous holiday allowance and pension scheme. We also have policies to offer daily core hours, flexible holiday scheme and compressed hours during the summer months
About the role:
The Carbon Trust is a mission driven group that advises businesses, governments and multilateral organisations to accelerate the move to a decarbonised future. Together with the General Counsel and three other lawyers within the team, the role of Senior Legal Counsel is to provide general commercial legal advice to the Carbon Trust group and support the business in the UK and overseas.
This role provides a genuine opportunity to have a healthy work / life balance with plenty of scope for flexible working including hybrid working (2 days per week in the office), daily core hours allowing you to start and finish your working day flexibly and other benefits such as compressed summer hours and working anywhere in the world for up to four weeks of the year.
The Carbon Trust is a global climate consultancy driven by the mission to accelerate the move to a decarbonised future. We have been pioneering decarbonisation for more than 20 years for businesses, governments, and organisations around the world.
We put impact before profit – and reinvest any surplus into achieving our mission. That means we are impartial, objective and true to our vision - where environmental sustainability and economic realities go hand in hand.
Drawing on a network of over 300 experts internationally, the Carbon Trust guides organisations through their journey to Net Zero. From strategic planning and target setting to delivery, activation, and communication - we provide smarter ways to turn intent into impact.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Provide timely and commercial legal advice on contracts with clients and partners, including in respect of consultancy and certification services, software, property, marketing and green finance.
- Support the group in the development of new businesses, products and programmes, including in respect of digitalisation.
- Support and advise on public and private bids in the UK and internationally.
- Support and advise in relation to compliance with data protection, modern slavery, anti-bribery and money-laundering laws.
- Manage the group’s global intellectual property portfolio.
- Engage with and manage external counsel where necessary
- Provide general corporate advice and handle company secretarial and associated administration.
- Provide advice and support to international offices in Singapore, Amsterdam, China and South Africa and liaise with local counsel.
Key skills we are looking for:
- Strong commercial acumen and a practical, common sense approach.
- An ability to lead on large projects and work autonomously in an efficient and organised manner.
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills.
- An ability to assess and prioritise workload according to business needs and mentor / supervise other members of the team.
- An energetic and enthusiastic approach, with strong interpersonal skills with the credibility to communicate effectively across levels and functions of the business.
- A proactive, get up and go attitude. Ambitious and passionate about the Carbon Trust’s mission to accelerate the move to a decarbonised future.
Qualifications and experience:
- Fluent English-speaking solicitor, with post qualified experience gained ideally in a private practice and inhouse commercial setting although could suit you if you are looking to move in-house from private practice.
- Experience of international business and compliance and software contracts would be beneficial.
- This role would suit someone with a corporate or commercial background with significant experience in drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Experience of Companies Act requirements and general corporate administration is essential.
- Knowledge of intellectual property and associated registration requirements would be helpful.
- A good understanding and experience of advising in respect of requirements of GDPR, and other relevant legal and compliance rules and regulations.
- Ability to work independently and provide commercial and technically accurate advice under pressure.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please click the apply button and submit your CV and a cover letter.
The closing date for applications is 3 October 2022.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to our hybrid working model the interviewing and onboarding processes may take place via video conferencing.