The Insolvency Service
Permanent contract and two-year fixed-term appointments (to start in Sept 2022.)
Locations: Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, Cardiff, Ipswich, Nottingham, Stratford (London), Exeter, Croydon, Edinburgh
The Insolvency Service is a great place in which to pursue your career goals. It is our responsibility to help deliver economic confidence and make the UK a great place to do business. As such, we help those in financial difficulty and we tackle financial wrongdoing, and in doing so, we support the most efficient functioning of markets and the wider economy.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Criminal Team which prosecutes a wide range of offences concerned with insolvency related crime and corporate misconduct. Following the pandemic, this increasingly includes Bounce Back Loan fraud. Whilst our permanent vacancy is in our business-as-usual team, our fixed term vacancies will be within a ring-fenced team dealing specifically with bounce back loan misconduct related matters. The team also provides operational advice across the agency with particular focus on both criminal and statutory investigations.
You will be part of the Government Legal Profession and will be expected to undertake the following non-exhaustive list of responsibilities:
- To manage a caseload of varying complexity from the decision to institute proceedings through to trial and confiscation
- To give clear, accurate and timely advice where required on the conduct of criminal investigations
- To instruct Counsel or agent solicitors where appropriate
- To build effective working relationships with colleagues involved in the Services enforcement work, particularly with our investigators to develop and pursue focused case strategies
- To work on cross-Whitehall initiatives as part of the Government Legal Profession, to contribute to knowledge management and sharing best practice
- To deliver training across the Service and potential to supervise paralegals undertaking CILEx
- To attend court and undertake advocacy in the Magistrates Court as appropriate To travel to senior leader conferences and other regional centres as and when required
You will need to be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Chartered Legal Executive with the right to practise in England and Wales. As a highly motivated individual with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well within a team, you will have experience in criminal law, including evidence, disclosure, procedure, and confiscation. Experience of advocacy in the Magistrates’ court is desirable but not necessary.
This is a great opportunity to join our Legal Service Directorate’s supportive, diverse, and inclusive team, where you will find a great work-life balance that is enhanced by a competitive benefits package. This includes flexible work patterns, 34 days of leave (inclusive of bank holidays and the Queen’s birthday) and a contributory pension scheme. You will also have access to 5 paid volunteering days and a further 5 paid days for learning and development, plus additional staff wellbeing options and benefits.
Do something valuable with your legal knowledge and skills. Join The Insolvency Service.
To apply, please click on the ‘apply’ button.
Closing date: 5 August 2022