Construction Solicitor (NQ+) - Thames Valley
New! - our client is a leading Legal 100 firm with an outstanding reputation for all construction, engineering, and infrastructure matters. Due to growth, an exciting opportunity has arisen for an ambitious Construction Solicitor (NQ+) to join their expanding team based in the Thames Valley. The Construction & Infrastructure Team is a full service team providing transactional advice through to dispute avoidance/resolution advice relating to large scale construction and engineering projects, in the UK and internationally.
You will have some previous experience advising clients on contractual terms (in particular the JCT suite of contracts) as well as acting for clients and advising in respect of: claims involving defective works, claims arising out of payment applications (both interim and final), issues surrounding delay including claims for extensions of time, loss and expense and liquidated damages. Experience of assisting on cases in the High Court, Technology and Construction Court is desirable, as is experience in alternative forms of dispute resolution such as mediation and adjudication.
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates with experience involving claims against third parties under security arrangements, in a construction context.
The successful individual will have excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to organise, prioritise and handle a busy and varied caseload.
Qualifications and Experience
- We are looking for team players with experience on the contentious side of adjudication, arbitration and litigation in the TCC as well as the ability to give practical and commercial advice at an early stage where projects are in distress;
- Typical disputes include interim and final payments disputes, professional negligence claims and issues of delay and defective works;
- On the non-contentious side, candidates should have experience of leading and advising on transactions, drafting and negotiating construction contracts and ancillary agreements and providing ongoing project advice;
- The team act for employers (corporates and high net worth individuals), construction professionals, contractors and sub-contractors and the successful candidate can look forward to a broad range of quality work across various sectors;
- There are opportunities for career progression as the team continues to grow and all team members are encouraged to develop their own practices and contacts;
- All team members are encouraged to participate in business development and the team regularly host case law updates and workshops for clients and contacts, as well as marketing generally to the industry. The successful candidate should be interested in and have an understanding of the construction and engineering sector and in turn will be fully supported to develop their own practices and contacts as well as ensuring the continued success and growth of the team and wider firm.
- Candidates should have good inter-personal skills, strong academics and high quality experience – typically with a major City or leading national/regional practice.
The team mainly acts for commercial clients across a wide range of business sectors with a particular emphasis on real estate developers, property investment companies, contractors and major engineering consultancies.
Their core dispute avoidance/resolution services include advising on all forms of dispute resolution (adjudication / arbitration / litigation / mediation / expert determination), giving strategic advice to clients to ensure that their dispute is resolved as cost effectively as possible, whilst maintaining the best possible outcome.
A number of the construction partners and team members have previously worked in-house for major industry names, and so candidates with backgrounds in private practice or industry are equally of interest.
The team has a number of fee-earners and partners highly ranked in the legal directories and the firm are recognised for their collegiate and supportive culture. This position would suit an ambitious individual looking for city quality work with greater flexibility for work-life balance.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide legal advice to clients in a succinct, practical and persuasive manner
- Assist with a substantial and varied workload efficiently and cost effectively with supervision, appropriate to level of expertise
- Draft documents with minimum instruction and supervision, making use of appropriate precedents
- Apply a commercial approach to research and evaluate relevance and accuracy in delivery of advice
- Identify client opportunities and take appropriate steps to follow through
- Contribute to group knowledge and know-how initiatives
You can expect to advise employers: construction professionals; contractors and sub-contractors which will bring exposure across a broad range of matters and disputes. Business development and marketing activity is encouraged at all levels.
We are seeking:
- An ambitious individual with a minimum of 6 months experience advising on either construction or litigation law matters
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Genuine appetite for business development activity
- Regional ties are an advantage
Excellent support and supervision on offer within a collegiate and friendly team environment.
A highly attractive financial package is on offer + benefits
To apply, please submit your CV via the link below or contact: email@example.com