Legal Counsel (Next-Generation Products)
We're a truly international company, fourth largest in our industry and operating across 120 markets. An inclusive, innovative global FMCG business supported by over 27,500 employees. As we embrace a new era of growth, we are transforming. Our ways of working and culture are driven by a challenger mindset, constantly questioning the status quo. Our agility and entrepreneurial spirit, alongside award winning development programmes, enable innovation and success while creating exciting and rewarding career choices.
As we move forward, our customers will be at the heart of what we do, and we are continuing to evolve to our customers’ needs and expectations by committing to a more meaningful contribution to harm reduction by building a successful Next-Generation Product business.
Encouraging inclusion at local levels and supporting a developing and robust diversity agenda globally, we’re fully committed to creating and maintaining an environment that celebrates and respects difference.
We are seeking a Legal Counsel (NGP) to join our Corporate & Legal Affairs Function. The position will be based in our Bristol Head Office.
The successful candidate will have a background in commercial law, regulatory law, or consumer law. You will be a strong communicator, enjoy building relationship and have a strong drive for results.
You will become an integral part of the UKI Legal team, reporting to the UKI Legal Counsel. You will provide pragmatic, commercially-minded legal advice on all issues affecting next-generation products (NGP) within the UK and Ireland Cluster, together with providing relevant advice to support the wider business.
The role includes advising on a wide range of legal issues relating to NGP, which includes marketing and sales, commercial contracts, e-cigarette regulations, product-related issues, and competition law. The role would suit both candidates who are looking to make their first move in-house and those who have already gained in-house experience.
- Managing the delivery of legal advice on NGP across the UKI Cluster. Providing clear legal advice to the NGP Team and Cluster Leadership Team (CLT) on a wide range of commercial issues and industry-related legislation, including new and impending legislation.
- Providing market-specific legal advice to the business to ensure new NGP are fit for launch in the UKI Cluster and that appropriate risk mitigation advice has been considered and implemented. Assessing and advising on relevant aspects of EU legislation and cross-border implications.
- Supporting the wider business with the provision of legal advice in relation to a broad range of regulatory, commercial and competition law issues regarding other FMCG categories.
Management and Cross-Functional Working
- Managing external lawyers in the preparation of strategic legal advice essential to our NGP strategy.
- Leading the drafting of legal argumentation for the NGP sector to support the Government Affairs Team to engage with external stakeholders.
- Reviewing and approving all communications materials relevant to NGP for the Communications Team.
- Providing training to the NGP Team (including new starters) and the CLT on the current legislative framework for NGP.
- Working with Group IP to ensure appropriate protection is in place to protect the business’ intellectual property rights in any new NGP.
- Advising the NGP Team and Group Legal colleagues on the interpretation of current/evolving UK regulation relevant to NGP (including e-cigarette regulations),and advising on associated risks to the business.
- Providing regulatory advice to the UKI Cluster on new NGP in terms of both the legal and reputational impact.
- Providing advice and legal copy clearance on marketing projects and activities to ensure compliance with legislation, the Advertising Standards Authority’s CAP/BCAP Codes and the Group’s International Marketing Standards.
- Advising on the merits of, and consequently managing and defending against, claims by regulators or competitors where non-compliance with product-specific or marketing regulations is alleged.
- Responsible for drafting, negotiating and finalising contracts to formalise and clarify contractual relationships with customers and suppliers for the distribution and sale of NGP across the UKI Cluster.
- Working with Group Procurement to assist with the provision of supplier contracts and contract management specific to NGP.
- Supporting the UKI Legal Counsel provide legal advice in relation to competition law in order to ensure continued competition law compliance across the business.
- Providing specific competition law advice in relation to NGP.
Skills and Experience
- UK qualified solicitor (would suit NQ – 4 Years’ PQE)
- Previous experience gained in-house or within leading law firm in commercial or regulatory law
- Ability to manage stakeholder relationships at various levels
- Willingness to learn new regulations, improve expertise and become the subject matter expert on e-cigarette regulatory matters within the UKI Cluster
- Excellence in using Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a professional approach to all areas of work
- Strong analytical and strategic skills set
- Firm resolve when robust advice is required
- Good understanding of regulatory law (including advertising law), commercial law, consumer law, competition law and/or data protection law
- Experience of working in FMCG or a regulated industry, or solid experience of advising FMCG clients
- Knowledge of the regulatory framework for NGP within the UK and Ireland and/or knowledge of the tobacco industry its regulatory framework
What we offer
Imperial Brands offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits, including bonus scheme, pension and 25 days holiday (with an additional 4 days on top to cover the Christmas period and bank holidays), together with hybrid working.
Interested applicants should apply with their CV highlighting their suitability for the role.