Specialist engineering company seeks 2-6 years' PQE commercial solicitor / Legal Counsel. Lancashire based with hybrid/home working.
Our client is a leading provider of engineered solutions for civil construction and infrastructure projects. It is both a high technology and traditional manufacturing business that produces high-quality and ground-breaking products shipped and used globally. The group is committed to continuous innovation and helping to reach net zero for carbon goals, and the use of the company's products significantly reduces the volume of raw materials that need to be used in construction projects.
The EMEA head office is located in Lancashire and our client is proposing circa two days in the office with the remainder from home.
Role - Legal Counsel
Working alongside the Regional Head of Legal, and deputising when required, you will have responsibility for the provision of timely legal support, advice and guidance to business functions, divisions and stakeholders across the EMEA region.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
- advising and counselling business teams with respect to day-to-day matters, areas of risk and key strategic initiatives.
- reviewing, drafting and negotiating a wide range of contracts to include: license/manufacturing agreements; distribution and agency agreements; licensing and IP agreements; NEC/NEC4 and JCT contracts; professional services/appointment terms and collateral warranties; sale and purchase terms and conditions and sub-contracts; as well as joint venture and confidentiality agreements.
- taking the lead on certain discrete projects with support/gidance from the Head of Legal.
- liaising with and instructing external lawyers in the UK and wider region.
- drafting and updating legal policies and procedures;
- legal clearance of marketing materials and advising upon advertising/competitor issues.
- undertaking research and providing guidance of legal developments or issues.
- assisting the company's Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) initiative on specific projects.
- company secretarial work to include annual return filings, drafting relevant board minutes and maintaining company books etc.
It is envisaged that you will be a UK qualified solicitor with around 3-6 years' PQE or equivalent. Practical legal experience in commercial contracts is essential and knowledge of corporate (including company secretarial duties) and/or construction industry standard contract terms and conditions (JCT NEC3 and NEC4) is preferable. Existing in-house experience is not essential although it would be advantageous.
What's on offer?
The Legal Counsel role offers the opportunity to work as part of a diverse global business with exposure to support other jurisdictions outside of the UK whilst based in the UK. It is an excellent opportunity to gain international legal experience working alongside an experienced Head of Legal with many years working in-house.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.