In-house Counsel - Commercial/Construction
In-house Counsel - Construction or Commercial
Skanska is one of the world's largest development and construction companies, operating on a truly international scale.
As Skanska UK, we have helped create iconic buildings such as The Gherkin, Heron Tower and The Scalpel, with more recent projects including HS2 and The Now Building.
Headed by the Hot 100-recognised Swati Paul, Director of Skanska UK, leading the legal and commercial functionsGeneral Counsel and Director, this long established and highly regarded Legal Team is seeking to add an additional lawyer to the ranks, from either a Construction or Commercial background. The Legal Team carries out all of the work on behalf of Skanska, ensuring a varied workload which has a real impact for the business.
You will be responsible for:
· The provision of proactive and practical early commercial/construction legal advice, to Skanska, Operating Units (OUs) and Enabling Functions (EFs).
· Follow up support to assist in the implementation of solutions for the OUs and EFs.to achieve those goals (Ee.g. assist in negotiation of documentation to close/complete the transaction and then offer "after care" follow up legal support until project has been built/concluded and full payment recovered.).
This will involve:
· Developing relationships with Skanska UK management and the OUs and EFs so that the Legal Department are involved early and fully.
· Providing/assisting in the provision of workshops, seminars, etc with the OUs and EFs.
· Proactive and early involvement with colleagues and peers.
· Transfer knowledge/best practice.
· Being willing to learn other areas of law and assist the team with standard documents, training, policies and guidance
· Liaising with Skanska AB (parent company) as needed.
We are looking for:
· Qualified UK lawyer with 5-10 years' PQE.
· Mid-ranking/senior with good commercial/construction law experience.
· Good drafting and communication skills with all levels of the business.
· Good understanding and experience of the forms of contracts (NEC/JCT) commonly used (where relevant) and associated statute and case law.
· Good understanding of construction techniques and processes (where relevant).
· Ability to advise on commercial contracts.
· An ability to break a matter down to basics and communicate effectively with all levels of personnel.
· An ability to deliver a legal service to a business in a form they can readily understand and use.
· An ability to argue our case in formal negotiations in a logical and articulate manner.
· An understanding of the basic commercial management processes that should be employed on a project.
· An understanding of risk and risk identification and management techniques.