Associate or Principal Associate 5YR+ PQE Litigation
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2019 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
Our national Litigation department provides litigation and advisory services to the insurance industry and commercial clients. We act on behalf of (re)insurers, professional practices, corporations and regulatory bodies. We have significant experience of working with the construction, financial, broking and legal sectors, in particular. Members of our department regularly deal with high-profile and sensitive issues with far reaching implications, and litigate cases in which landmark decisions are reached. We resolve disputes via litigation, arbitration, adjudication, mediation and regulatory ombudsman services.
Please note: This role can be based in our Birmingham, Leeds, London, Liverpool, Manchester or Newcastle office.
The Litigation team undertakes a broad range of substantial, challenging work, largely of a contentious nature. This includes claims against a wide variety of professional service providers together with insurance and reinsurance disputes. This role will focus largely on claims and related insurance issues concerning commercial organisations such as building contractors, engineers, architects, surveyors, investment managers, insurers, fund managers and financial advisers. The coverage disputes element of the role will cover a range of insurance policies including PI, EL/PL, D&O, CAR and property.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Managing your own caseload, including proactive management of cases with limited supervision
- Assisting the partners with their caseloads
- Advising clients in relation to issues of liability and coverage
- Preparing detailed and technical reports, correspondence and court documents
- Liaising with insurer and insured clients, experts, witnesses, counsel and other parties
- Ensuring compliance with relevant deadlines, quality measures and key performance indicators
- Ensuring compliance with client service level agreements, relevant policies and procedures
- Supporting business development initiatives
- Completion of management information
- Working in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
The person specification
- At least 5 years’ PQE or equivalent
- Experience of insurance litigation and policy coverage analysis is essential
- Experience of professional risk claims arising from lawyer liability and/or financial services liability is essential
- Understanding of commercial insurance policies, the insurance market, reporting arrangements, reserving philosophies, and the relationship between brokers, underwriters/insurers and lawyers is highly desirable
- Previous secondment to or employment with an insurance organisation would be advantageous
- Ability to work to deadlines / targets, to prioritise and manage a caseload and deliver effective solutions
- Ability to work well as part of a team and on your own initiative with a positive attitude
- A commercial, solution-driven and client-focused approach
- Strong legal and analytical skills with an eye for detail
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent IT skills
Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.