UK General Counsel - Rail Sector Experience
*Must have Rail Sector Experience*
Responsible to: Group General Counsel & Head of Compliance
Responsible for: Global Compliance Team
The UK General Counsel will be responsible for delivering integrated commercially-focused legal solutions and support to the UK business to achieve its strategic objectives in a compliant manner. Reporting to the Group General Counsel and Compliance Leader, this role will be a highly empowered leader within the global Legal & Compliance team.
The UK General Counsel will provide strategic advice, guidance and support that enables the business to achieve its strategic mission in a way that minimizes legal and compliance risk for the business. The role potentially includes the full spectrum of legal matters from litigation to employment, general commercial advice to major project tendering and contracts, procurement, project execution and contract management.
A priority for the UK General Counsel will be putting in place a new team structure and thereafter leading, developing and motivating this team so they operate as trusted and solution-oriented business partners.
- Managing and overseeing the legal support for all of the business unit’s UK commercial projects, including bidding, structuring, negotiation, contracting, procurement, contract execution, contract management and dispute resolution.
- Leading and working with cross-functional teams in the business unit and the Corporate team in the analysis and approval of legal, commercial and reputational risks in relation to bidding and commercial negotiations and their mitigation and management.
- Collaborating with the global compliance function to maintain and develop compliance processes, conducting training and investigations, and helping to build a strong ‘compliance culture’.
- Developing and delivering advice, training, templates and tools and processes to improve the standard of contracting, tendering, negotiation, sourcing and procurement practices.
- Playing a key role in cross-functional teams, building relationships and counselling stakeholders on legal commercial and reputational risk, leading discussions on risk management and ethical practices in a user-friendly and pragmatic manner.
- Helping to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, supporting the business on legal matters including contractual, commercial and corporate, litigation, regulatory compliance, contract management, document management, etc.
- Ensuring compliance with corporate governance and approval requirements, company secretarial requirements, regulatory, litigation and disputes, intellectual property, real estate, and employment matters.
- Selecting, engaging and actively managing the services of outside counsel across a wide spectrum of legal disciplines within budget.
- Representing the company in front of key stakeholders including shareholders, employees, customers, suppliers, government regulators and media.
- Partnering with the Group General Counsel and other colleagues within the global Legal & Compliance team on join initiatives.
It is our expectation that applicants should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Degree in Law or equivalent, admitted to practice in a UK jurisdiction
- 15-20 years’ PQE in top tier international law firms or industrial companies
- *Must have rail sector experience*
- Track record of successful team leadership
In addition, the successful candidate should be to demonstrate all of the attributes and skills listed below:
- Sound knowledge of UK law and practice; familiar with common contracting schemes (PPPs, EPC contracts, LTMAs, alliance agreements, joint ventures, consortia) public and private procurement and infrastructure financing.
- Strong negotiation and risk management skills, able to operate at multiple levels including with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.
- Familiarity with global compliance practices as implemented in industrial businesses including anti-bribery, antitrust, data privacy etc. and enforcement thereof.
- Familiarity with UK corporate governance processes and regulations, and capability to deal with corporate documentation.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, listening, influencing and presentation skills, ability to work and communicate in a diverse global organization.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, strong at problem-solving and critical thinking, business and financial acumen.
- Team player, with cultural awareness and curiosity, willing to work with other functions and members of the global Legal & Compliance team on joint initiatives.
- Capable of taking on a demanding role, while remaining a ‘hands-on’ lawyer with energy and engagement in the day-today work.
- Absolute integrity and trustworthiness plus the credibility and ability to communicate the importance of same to all levels of the organisation.
Contact Sarita Rai for more information
T: +44 203 826 1807