Senior Trade Lawyer
Senior Trade Lawyer
Government Legal Department
£63,734 - £75,200
Provide legal advice that helps government shape the UK’s future.
The Government Legal Department is the largest provider of legal services across government. Our range of specialist client-facing advisory teams touch on most aspects of public life - from trade agreements to transport, roads to rivers, and health to human rights. Our vision is to be an outstanding legal organisation, committed to the highest standards of service and professionalism. We also strive to be a brilliant place to work, where you can fulfil your potential.
We are recruiting Senior Trade Lawyers to a number of divisions. You will provide wide-ranging, trusted legal advice to a specific area of government. The opportunities may include:
• Department for International Trade - advising on the development and implementation of international trade and investment strategy and policy
• Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy - advising on diverse issues ranging from space travel, to oil rigs, to the ‘gig economy’, to climate change
• Cabinet Office Europe - advising on cutting-edge issues relating to the UK’s relationship with the European Union, from border strategy to regulatory opportunities
• Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - advising on international trade issues including agri-food trade, sanitary and phytosanitary matters, and the environment
• Treasury: Trade and Negotiations Team - advising on trade law matters falling within the mandate of HM Treasury, from financial services recognition, to the UK tariff regime
A highly motivated, qualified lawyer, you will bring leadership, communication and influencing skills to your role. We expect you to be self-aware and committed to using feedback in your professional development. A proven track record of post-qualifying experience is essential.
You will demonstrate a sound understanding of public law, an appreciation of legal risk and reliable legal judgement. Experience and expertise in international trade law would be a significant advantage. You will certainly have the ability to think analytically, strategically and creatively, and to provide clear advice based on seeing issues in context.
To learn more and apply, please click the Apply button