Job Description: Investment Associate
Does the prospect of applying your excellent legal skills working on sports based investment funds at a growing and dynamic social enterprise appeal to you? We are looking for an Investment Associate to join our fund management team. The ideal candidate will be a qualified solicitor with at least 1 year post qualification experience. Our team works with major sector bodies in sport to manage projects and loan funds delivering benefit to sport and communities throughout England.
▪ Salary up to £40,000 p.a. with discretionary bonus of up to 30% of base pay, plus statutory pension contribution.
▪ Exciting opportunity to join a growing employee owned social enterprise focused on maximising the positive impact of sport and physical activity on individuals and communities.
▪ Opportunity to work on interesting projects that result in significant community and social impact with a variety of sports organisations.
▪ Chance to gain first hand experience of impact investment, playing a key role in its growing application in the sports sector.
▪ Ideal for an entrepreneurial individual who aspires to progress their career in an emerging field who can fit into a high performing team.
▪ Based in London or Leeds 2 days per week, with the remaining days remote if required (fully remote considered for outstanding candidates).
▪ Full time (5 days per week) is preferred although part time will be considered for outstanding candidates.
The successful candidate will play an important role in our expanding Fund Management team. We currently manage £13m under two impact investment funds, Sporting Capital and Club Capital, focused on community sport, physical activity and facilities. We have designed sport focused impact investment funds of over £500m for other sector bodies, and are in the process of developing new funds.
Supporting our Fund Investment Managers you will work across the full fund design and management lifecycle:
▪ Negotiating a range of agreements including investment advisory agreements, side letters, distribution agreements and brokerage agreements.
▪ Project managing formation of new funds and updates to existing funds.
▪ Advising on fund and market regulation such as AIFMD, UCITS, MiFID and EMIR.
▪ Advising on venture capital investments and disposals.
▪ Advising on a wide range of commercial legal matters such as supplier agreements, non-disclosure agreements, marketing, intellectual property and employment arrangements.
▪ Drafting standard documents and maintaining contract databases.
▪ Assisting with the establishment of fund structures.
▪ Co-ordinating fund closing processes.
▪ Working closely with deal teams on investor co-investments with certain deals.
▪ Managing compliance and legal documents, and assisting with operational questions.
▪ Responding to investor queries.
▪ Develop with the wider team, policies, guidelines and precedents for transactions and general business operations and implement/instruct external counsel accordingly.
Skills and experience
You are a qualified solicitor with at least 1 year post qualification experience gained in either funds or corporate/M&A/private equity, and have trained and have post qualification experience with a top law firm.
What is absolutely necessary is an interest in social investment and the wider sports, charity and social enterprise sectors.
Expected Personal Attributes
▪ Enthusiastic, self-starter and strong team player.
▪ Ability to work proactively.
▪ A willingness to present ideas to peers and senior colleagues.
▪ An adaptable communication style for engaging a wide range of stakeholders from local community organisations through to national sector bodies.
▪ Ability to operate in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines.
▪ A highly committed individual with the ambition to take ownership of projects.
▪ A demonstrable interest in improving the sport for social impact sector, supporting social enterprises and developing the impact investment market.
Desired Skills and Competencies
▪ Experience of fund formation and negotiation of investment agreements and side letters.
▪ Experience of management of external counsel.
▪ Experience with corporate matters (including regulated entities).
▪ An understanding of business advisory services and capital raising methods.
▪ Strong writing capability and presentation skills.
▪ Strong negotiating skills.
▪ Experience of corporate law and M&A activity.
▪ Proficient in Microsoft Office especially in Microsoft Word.
If a candidate does not possess the requested skills and competencies, we would expect rationale as how their skills and experiences could be adapted to address the gaps.
Sporting Assets is an employee owned enterprise specialising in grassroots sport, community activity and finance.
Our mission is to help develop a resilient and impactful Community Sports Sector; we do this by providing a unique offer as both advisors to, and investors in, the community sports sector.
We work across two key areas, Advisory and Fund Management, and take the learning from each to inform and develop our work in the other.
A key to our growing business is a dynamic, hard working team within a supportive environment, along with an opportunity to gain a shareholding for those that go consistently ‘above and beyond’.
Sporting Assets is part of The Finance For Sustainability Group, a group of social enterprises that collectively manage over £60m of Impact Investment Funds and have advised on over 100 impact investment assignments across sport, the environment, arts and heritage, as well as creating new pieces of market infrastructure for the wider impact investment market. https://financeforsustainability.co.uk/
Compensation and location details
▪ Salary up to £40,000 p.a. with discretionary bonus of up to 30% of base pay, plus statutory pension contribution
▪ Full time (5 days per week) is preferred although part time will be considered for outstanding candidates
▪ 25 days flexible holiday plus 2-3 days free at Christmas (plus English bank holidays)
▪ Flexible home working arrangements
▪ Potential to become a shareholder in the future
▪ Learning and continuous improvement is core to how we support staff develop. Support is provided for individual development, through external training and coaching from members of the executive team.
▪ Opportunity to progress rapidly in a growing business and dynamic team
We have an office in London and are currently exploring a new space in Leeds. It is envisaged that the role will be semi-flexible, with at least 2 days per week attendance required in our London Vauxhall or Leeds office. The remaining days can be worked remotely if required. We will consider the role being worked fully remote for outstanding candidates.
When appropriate to do so, it is expected there will be some travel and overnight stays.
Application and Interview Process
Interested candidates should send a CV and covering letter detailing their interest in Sporting Assets and relevant
experience to: email@example.com
Please include in your cover letter your preferred location, London or Leeds.
Closing date for applications 19 November 2021
▪ 1st Round Interviews to be held w/c 29 November 2021
▪ 2nd Round Interviews to be held w/c 2 December 2021
All candidates are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits.