Junior Legal Counsel - Commercial - Education Sector
Our client is a world-leading university with the highest academic and research standards. But we’re not letting the story end there.
That’s because we’re a place of possibility. We’re always looking for new ways to make things happen. Whether you’re a dedicated student, an innovative lecturer or an ambitious company, our client provides a tireless yet supportive environment in which you can make an impact.
And our students, alumni and staff are consistently making an impact - the kind that changes lives, whether close to home or on a global scale.
It’s the achievements of our people that help explain why our levels of research excellence and scholarship are recognised internationally.
It’s a prime attraction for some of the biggest names in worldwide business and industry.
It’s why we’re ranked highly in the lists of great UK and world universities.
All of this contributes to a compelling story, one that’s little more than 50 years old. But who said youth should hold you back from changing the world?
An exciting opportunity for a commercial lawyer to join the in-house legal team. You will be a key part of our busy contracts team, managing a diverse portfolio of matters with a wide-ranging value and risk profile. You will work closely with Academic and Professional Services colleagues from across the institution to enable us to meet our strategic aims as one of the country’s foremost Higher Education institutions.
A sound knowledge of contracts law and strong negotiating and drafting skills are essential.
This is the ideal opportunity for a solicitor with 0-2 years post qualified experience who is looking to work in-house.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of Senior Legal Counsel to:
- assist in advising academic and commercial departments of the University on a broad range of low to medium risk matters of a legal and/or compliance nature including: consumer protection, general contract law, real estate, anti-bribery law;
- review, draft and negotiate low to medium risk commercial contracts and other legal documents, providing advice and guidance thereon;
- undertake legal research as required to enable the Legal and Compliance Services team to advise key stakeholders;
- support the work of the Legal and Compliance Services team in communicating with key stakeholders in the University to keep them informed of relevant legal and compliance matters, and of applicable University regulations and procedures;
- assist in the delivery, evaluation, monitoring and reporting of policies, standards and procedures, and to draft required documentation;
- assist in the development and delivery of training materials for staff, students and other stakeholders in relevant legal and compliance matters;
- prepare and submit reports to internal and external stakeholders, as required;
- To undertake such other duties from time to time as requested by Senior Legal Counsel or Director of Legal and Compliance Services as are commensurate with the job title and function of the Legal and Compliance Services team.
Skills & Experience
- Good honours degree in Law; or good honours degree and at least merit in Graduate Diploma in Law.
- A qualified solicitor or barrister or equivalent practical experience in a similar role.
- Experience of commercial contracts drafting and negotiation.
- Sound knowledge of contract law.
- Sound contract drafting skills.
- Well-developed analytical capabilities, able to interrogate and understand legal issues and to advise on their impact and potential solutions effectively and appropriately.
- Written and verbal communication skills. Ability to clearly present an argument and negotiate to achieve a desired outcome.
- Ability to prioritise, proactively manage own workload and work to tight deadlines.
- Team player, able to work collaboratively within defined teams or as part of wider group of stakeholders.
- IT skills – competent with Microsoft Office suite and in particular good skills with Word.
- Previous experience of working in a customer/client-facing environment.
Sophie Webb I Carlyle Kingswood Global
T: 0203 826 1810