Arbuthnot Latham has been associated with banking since 1833. We combine private and commercial banking, wealth planning and investment management. We believe in traditional relationship and service-led banking powered by modern technology. Our entrepreneurial spirit and personal approach enable us to provide innovative and flexible solutions to help our clients achieve their goals – for business, for family, for life
This critical and broad-ranging role will support the Head of Legal and work directly with senior management across all areas of the business to provide in-house legal advice and to deliver legal strategy to Arbuthnot Latham and its subsidiaries.
Core activities will include
- Day to day legal advice on issues arising within Arbuthnot Latham’s banking business (deposit taking and lending);
- Advice on material contracts including contracts for the provision of products and services;
- Support on the legal documentation used by the business, including lending and security documentation and customer facing documentation (e.g. Terms and Conditions);
- Advice on disputes and litigation;
- Support on the selection and use of external lawyers and liaison with external lawyers advising the business;
- Assistance & advice on the terms of engagement of contractors and suppliers;
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures;
- Advice on legislative changes that affect the business (in conjunction with Compliance).
Event driven activities: to provide legal advice and assistance on event driven activities such as change projects (strategic and regulatory), and new products, working closely with the business team, and manage external lawyers and other stakeholders in the successful delivery of such event driven activities.
Business as usual activities: to provide legal advice and support on business as usual activities such as drafting, reviewing and negotiating material contracts, advice on day to day queries, product development, new business initiatives, and documentation reviews.
Risk and control: to act as the Second Line of Defence in the risk management framework and to manage legal risk within the business; to identify, monitor, evaluate and escalate legal risks and where appropriate challenge the business on the effective management of legal risk, and formulate robust solutions to mitigate legal risk.
Responsible for managing risks inherent to the role by diligently observing internal policies and procedures.
Policy/legal management activities: to provide advice and assistance, using legal skills, expertise and contacts in relation to policy matters with a legal content, such as the management of panel law firms, risk assessment and governance projects, and changes in law.
To provide legal advice and co-ordinate the provision of legal advice by external law firms and other legal resources, managing the legal costs so as to promote a culture of cost efficiency and control.
- Arbuthnot Latham Board and Executive Committee members
- Directors and senior management of Arbuthnot Banking Group PLC; the company secretary of Arbuthnot Banking Group PLC; the Group Head of Governance
- Experience in providing legal advice within an inhouse legal function
- Non-contentious financial services regulatory knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of advising and negotiating a range of commercial contracts
- Awareness and understanding of the business impact of legal issues
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally
- Ability to meet response times
- Ability to work collaboratively with key stakeholders and business units
- Qualified lawyer, able to practice in UK
- Client focus
- Team working
- Judgment and problem solving
- Communication and confidence