Purpose of the role:
We are looking for a legal counsel with commercial experience to fulfil the role of General Counsel. In this role, you will act as sole counsel, sitting on the Executive Team and advising on commercial and regulatory matters across the business in the UK and Ireland.
Main responsibilities and duties:
Commercial and data protection:
- Providing day to day advice to the business on commercial and regulatory matters
- Advising all areas of the business on a range of contractual matters, including IT advertising agreements, contracts with media agencies, digital marketing agreements, intellectual property licences, services agreements, data processing agreements and sales agreements
- Advising on data protection legislation and best practices
- Negotiating and drafting sales contracts and addendums
- Handling litigation: evaluating claims and drafting settlement agreements, statements of claim and witness statements
- Advising on the existence and ownership of intellectual property rights, potential infringements, strategies for protecting them and their registration
- Reviewing marketing promotions and social media campaigns
- Advising Customer Services team and acting as point of escalation for the team
- Acting as contact point for Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority
- Looking into regulatory requirements for a range of products and services.
- Corporate support work
- Advising on legislative compliance, risks and challenges to the business including in relation to GDPR, PECR and FSMA
- Managing relationships with external legal providers in the UK and Republic of Ireland
- Working with the executive team on the acquisition or potential acquisition of businesses or on corporate restructures.
- Supporting the HR team by drafting policies and procedures and template agreements,
- Advising on employment relation issues.
- Negotiating leases, short-term licences to occupy and licences to alter
Technical Skills required:
- Minimum 5 years PQE in a commercial role with in-house experience preferable.
- Prior e-commerce experience is encouraged but not required.
- System knowledge of OneTrust is desired but not required.
Soft Skills required:
- Understanding of high confidentiality in role.
- Ability to prioritise and work flexibly, navigating quickly and comfortably between various different subject matters and shifting priorities.
- Exceptional organisational skills are requisite.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a range of stakeholders is essential.