At Kuehne+Nagel (KN) we are proud to be a world leader in Logistics. Our UK business is growing and we now have an exciting new opportunity for two Legal Counsels to join our established team. If you are an experienced Commercial Lawyer and would like to work for a company who aims to be the best company to work for and with, then read on.
You will be responsible for enabling sound business decisions and processes by providing accurate and timely advice on legal principles and procedures relating to a wide range of legal and commercial issues.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Review and provide advice on legal and commercial issues in new contracts with customers and suppliers.
- Assist in negotiating new contracts with customers and/or suppliers.
- Ensure KN is run in accordance with KN’s Corporate Governance policies and procedures and in accordance with applicable law.
- Provide interpretation and advice of existing contracts where disputes have arisen. Advise on strategies for effective dispute resolution.
- Dealing with claims issued against KN. This includes assessing the merits or otherwise of the claim and providing advice on how to deal with the claim to ensure the best possible result for KN.
- Providing general legal advice to all areas of the business which can include advising on employment, IT, and procurement.
Your skills and experience
- Qualified Solicitor, specifically in the commercial field with experience of a broad range of commercial transactions and legal matters preferably with experience of cross border and international transactions. If you have a background in defence that would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of the logistics industry would be advantageous as would experience of dealing with freight forwarding ie sea logistics, air logistics, road logistics, integrated logistics and multimodal. If you also have experience in maritime law, that would be useful.
- We’re looking for demonstrable experience in providing commercially focussed advice and solutions and for someone who is comfortable with working autonomously; don’t worry, you’ll get all the support you need but we will trust you to do a good job.
- Experience of dealing with outsourcing transactions including agreements dealing with transfer of assets, key performance indicators and the transfer of employees through the application of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.
- Sound working knowledge of all the international conventions and standard trading conditions eg CMR, Hague Visby Rules, Warsaw Convention, Montreal Convention, FIATA, BIFA, RHA etc.
- Excellent communication skills; able to communicate clearly and effectively (both verbally and in writing) across broad functional and organisational lines and with an ability to build strong client relationships and gain the trust and confidence of clients.
- Sound decision making skills, able to identify alternative courses of action through logical and reasonable assumptions and able to absorb and obtain relevant information with ease.
- Good problem solving abilities, able to analyse and make systematic and rational judgements based on available information.
- Security clearance would be an advantage; if you’re not already, you’ll need to undergo SC clearance.
Good reasons to join
Our legal team is small, but we make a big difference and so could you. We have lots to offer at Kuehne+Nagel; we’re market leading with innovative tools and products but we know it’s our people that make a real difference to how our customers feel. So come and join us on our journey. We’ll offer you a competitive salary, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, bonus, car/car allowance, life assurance, private medical insurance and the opportunity to join the Kuehne+Nagel contributory pension plan.