Planning Legal Adviser/Solicitor
Historic England are seeking a Planning Legal Adviser/Solicitor to join our legal team. You will have the opportunity to provide planning and heritage at risk legal advice on challenging and high-profile sites across the country in accordance with our organisation principles, practices and risk appetite.
Flexible on location - alignment to one of our offices in London, Bristol, Birmingham, Cambridge, Manchester, Swindon or York.
Salary: National - £34,007 - £36,000 pa, Greater London - £36,000 - £40,000 pa, Inner London £40,000 - £43,939 pa + Benefits
What you will be doing:
You will be responsible for providing an efficient and professional service, carry out all matters within timescales agreed with the internal clients and build effective working relationships with both internal and external partners working closely with a senior planning solicitor.
A key part of this role will be to keep up to date with relevant legislation and learning the detail of panning law relating to the historic environment.
You will provide compliant, informed advice that is in accordance with the organisations policies and risk appetite.
Who we are looking for:
- Experience in town and country planning law (such as planning inquiries, listed buildings, conservations areas, planning applications and procedure)
- Experience in (or a willingness to learn) the legal issues around heritage at risk, Scheduled Ancient Monuments and World Heritage Sites
- Team player who is also capable of taking ownership for your own caseload and have experience of direct client contact.
- Willingness to assist in other areas of law when required
- Ability to advise and deal expertly with a wide range of people
- Good negotiation skills
We are an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusion. If you have a disability, we would be happy to discuss reasonable adjustments to the job with you. Having just won the Gold Award from MIND, we also recognize the importance of a healthy work -life balance. We offer a wide benefits package including a competitive pension scheme, a generous 28 days holiday, corporate discounts, free entry into English Heritage sites across the county and development opportunities to ensure you achieve your goals.