1 day left
- Experience Level
- Junior Level
The legal team at EWR Co has a clear mandate to act as a trusted advisor and critical friend to both the EWR Co. Management Team and the EWR Co business as a whole. Not only providing day-to-day legal advice, the legal team is proactive in integrating and aligning with the strategic needs of EWR Co.
As Legal Counsel at EWR Co you will have the opportunity work across a variety of areas including commercial, corporate, governance, property/planning, IP/data and government policy matters.
As Legal Counsel you will provide coverage in areas including but not limited to:
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing key commercial contracts across EWR Co’s operational remit.
- Advising key stakeholders across EWR Co’s business on strategic legal issues.
- Liaising with external legal advisers on commercial, environmental, planning, policy and regulatory matters.
- Collaborating with the Procurement and Commercial team to mitigate contract management risk.
- Assisting with the delivery of a number of legal team projects relating to governance, GDPR, insurance and establishing standard form legal documents and processes.
- Working closely with the External Affairs team to deliver advice on Freedom of Information Act matters and our interaction with external stakeholders.
In carrying out the above duties, you will need to:
- Support the EWR Co commitment to customer service and the customer journey;
- Adopt and work to the EWR Co. Health and Safety principles;
- Implement EWR Co’s vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with EWR Co’s Ways of Working, encouraging and supporting others to do so
- Promote diversity in the workplace.
Directly reporting to EWR Co’s General Counsel and Company Secretary. Given the early stage of the project, it is likely that the nature of the role may evolve as the project progresses. It is also possible that other ad-hoc activities and duties may be required.
Experience and Skills
As Legal Counsel for EWR Co, you will be a solicitor with 0 to 2 years PQE.
Experience of commercial contracts, projects and construction environments would be advantageous but not essential. If you are a lawyer with strong commercial acumen and an eagerness to learn, do not feel at a disadvantage simply because you do not come from a rail, projects, or construction environment.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Good contract drafting experience and strong commercial acumen. We are agnostic as to your drafting background, whether it’s in M&A, finance, corporate, commercial, construction, projects, etc.
- Excellent analytical skills and independent thinker. Many of the issues we come across are unique, so being a keen problem solver and proactive is essential.
- Experience in delivering legal advice in plain English. Our stakeholders require straightforward legal advice, not jargon. Being able to simplify complex issues is crucial.
- Experience of resolving and escalating risks, issues and conflicts as necessary. A project of this scale has complex dynamics, we are looking for someone who can smoothly navigate and resolve issues.
- Excellent communication skills with a strong ability to engage and manage a variety of stakeholders. We work with a wide variety of stakeholders, from the Secretary of State, to our Board, suppliers, and members of the public. An ability to adapt your communication style is invaluable.
- Demonstrable negotiation and persuasive skills to ensure the right decisions are made. Our stakeholders will rely on you to guide them on legal matters. Having a diverse range of negotiation experience is key.
- Displaying a collegiate and collaborative approach. Being a team player with a high level of emotional intelligence is vital.
Education and Qualifications
- Qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales.
- You will need to have the right to work in the UK.
Apply for Legal Counsel
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly