General Counsel – Fintech
A fast-growing Fintech start-up specialising in Commercial E-Payment solutions, headquartered in Central London, is seeking a General Counsel to grow and develop their Legal Function. Over the past few years, the company has become the UK’s leading service provider in its specialisation. They have developed an award-winning payments platform that streamlines KYC/AML, legal entity liquid asset processing and financial management. This organisation is authorised and regulated by the FCA.
The Organisation and Team
A highly publicised, respected and ‘one to watch’ Fintech company with an impressive client base of national and international entities. Strong calibre of professionals who are driven, skilled and entrepreneurial individuals. The company fosters a supportive and collaborative environment amongst commercially minded individuals who are keen to challenge and grow the industry sector.
Reporting into the Managing Director, the General Counsel will work largely autonomously in their role, with the support of the Board of Directors and other departmental teams. The General Counsel will advise on a wide range of corporate and commercial legal matters, including in relation to business strategy and operations. Key Responsibilities:
- Management of legal issues across the payment business including any innovation strategies
- Review, draft and negotiate on a wide range of contracts on behalf of business departments, in relation to:
- commercial partnerships
- corporate, investment and financial services
- other ancillary business agreements
- Provide risk management solutions to the business
- Examine threats and opportunities to the business to protect from future risks and instabilities and work with compliance and management to devise efficient defence strategies
- Ensure governance practices and monitor the effectiveness of controls
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (clients and partners, external counsel, etc.),
- During projects, acting as a collaborator and led on compliance on legal issues and risks, specifically when advising teams in:
- Deliver training programmes in relation to legal and industry specific risks
- Maintain relationships with the regulators and other institutions to maintain regulatory reporting, working with the business’ approved persons and keeping abreast of regulatory changes
- UK Qualified Solicitor
- Knowledge and understanding of payments regulations, KYC/AML and FCA requirements
- Experience in horizon scanning to influence and safeguard the business processes
- You will be an agile (think on your feet and flexible around business priorities), hands-on professional with a strong sense of initiative, pro-activity and investigative mind-set
- Solutions focused and engaging approach whilst maintaining a high degree of professionalism, ethics, and integrity
- Ability to deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders
- A strong customer focus and highly effective relationship management
- Experience as a legal counsel in an in-house, fintech business environment preferred
This is a superb opportunity to join a highly skilled, innovative organisation, the role offers the successful General Counsel quality work and future departmental growth. The company is looking forward to expanding in Europe and beyond. A modern, flexible working environment. Highly attractive basic salary, as well as a variety of benefits, a bonus scheme, share options, unlimited holiday, private health and dental insurance, attractive pension scheme etc.
For further information for this General Counsel position, please apply now with your CV below.