UK Privacy Counsel
How do you verify real people in the digital world? Onfido helps companies see real identity – the humans behind the screens – using world-leading AI and identity experts. Our solutions enable customers to prove their identities, wherever they are, with just an ID and their face. So companies have everything they need to grow their businesses securely.
Our AI-based technology assesses whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compares it against their facial biometrics. That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Bunq and Remitly the assurance they need to onboard customers remotely and securely.
Onfido is scaling rapidly and we’re looking for a talented Privacy Counsel with a passion for innovative privacy work to join our London team. Reporting to the Global Head of Privacy, you will create and drive key data protection initiatives across Onfido’s business globally. In doing so, you’ll work closely with key stakeholders across the business, promoting a strong culture of handling and managing personal data sensitively and effectively.
Throughout, you’ll collaborate with talented legal colleagues (currently 8, soon to be 12 by the end of the year) and work with a supportive and encouraging team lead.
Onfido’s service model is at the forefront of data privacy: developing cutting edge artificial intelligence technologies to perform remote biometric identity verification. This technology has the potential to do tremendous good by creating a more open and accessible world, while of course there are very real privacy issues in how this technology is built and then made available to the public. This is a unique opportunity to help shape pragmatic solutions to enable privacy and technology to co-exist.
As a Privacy Counsel at Onfido you will:
- Work closely with our Product team to ensure privacy by design and default in the constant development of Onfido’s products and services
- Lead an internal privacy compliance programme across Onfido, liaising closely with our Legal Operations manager
- Work with the wider Legal team to provide support on customer-facing matters such as: coordinating responses to customer privacy and security concerns including AI governance and transfer impact assessments, communicating Onfido’s privacy compliance and safeguards, and negotiating data protection terms across client and partner contracts
- Support on supplier matters such as developing privacy compliance framework for Onfido suppliers
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders, including the Product Development, Marketing, Compliance, Legal, Strategy, HR and Information Security teams, setting clear accountabilities and policies for data protection
- Create and deliver training programmes, legal resources and contribute to our playbooks
- Monitor privacy regulation and policy developments and Onfido’s compliance with same
We’re looking for a Privacy Counsel who can display the below skills & experience throughout our interview process:
- 2-6 years’ experience in-house or at a top law firm (with secondment experience), with a solid focus in data protection matters
- Demonstrable experience of leading on a range of privacy projects and issues
- Strong commercial acumen; able to take a pragmatic approach to legal risk and advise the business accordingly
- Skilled at collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders across all levels of the business
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong team player and can-do approach; no job is too big or too small
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic business
- Qualified to practise law in the UK or equivalent jurisdiction
- Interest in technology
It would also be great to see the following:
- Prior in-house experience within a high-growth technology company
- Familiarity with data protection regime of a non-UK territory
- Experience with data risk management and/or supporting audits from a privacy perspective CIPP/E or equivalent
Onfidoer’s share a set of core values and want to hear from you if you believe in:
> Succeeding together; you work collaboratively and put the team first
> Taking pride; you care about quality, producing great work and customer / user outcomes
> Creating customer buzz; you demonstrate a strong user / customer focus
> Learning things & sharing them; you have a natural curiosity and default to sharing knowledge with others
> Finding a better way; you’re adept at finding solutions, experimentation and innovating to make things better
Along with our multi-national team in our London HQ we have offices in EMEA, America and APAC, making Onfido an exciting and culturally enriching place to work.
Personal hyper-growth requires a fast-moving environment, a clear career development plan and—crucially—looking after ourselves.
Onfido Balance is the toolkit we’ve developed to succinctly communicate our benefits offering:
> Our Body benefits prioritise health, wellbeing, exercise and recovery.
> Our Head benefits are focussed heavily on learning whatever your learning style, mental wellness and flexible working.
> Our Heart benefits are framed around sharing our success with our peers, our local communities and our future selves in the form of equity, corporate social responsibility and better togetherness.
Check out Life at Onfido via our LinkedIn Careers Page!
Please note: Onfidoers are all working from home for the time being. We also have switched to a virtual recruitment process and all our Newfidos will be onboarding remotely. Stay Safe!
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
More searches like this
- Company/Commercial In-House 4-6 Years jobs in London (Greater)
- Corporate In-House 4-6 Years jobs in London (Greater)
- Employment In-House 4-6 Years jobs in London (Greater)
- Information Technology In-House 4-6 Years jobs in London (Greater)
- Intellectual Property In-House 4-6 Years jobs in London (Greater)