Business Law Specialist SQE2
Location: Flexible, with some time spent in London (N7) and other SQE2 assessment venues
Reports to: Academic Head of SQE 2
Direct reports: None
Key stakeholders: SQE Team, Solicitors Regulation Authority, Interact, Freelance assessors, markers and question writers
*We will consider applicants interested in full or part-time employment
Who we are & what we stand for
We design and deliver world-leading professional assessments. In 2018, we were appointed as the independent assessment organisation for the new Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) which has now received Legal Services Board approval and will be introduced in 2021. This will become the sole route to qualifying as a Solicitor of England and Wales and be taken by upwards of 13,000 candidates per year.
We are part of the Kaplan group, one of the world’s largest and most diverse education and assessment providers. We operate in over 30 countries and maintain relationships and partnerships with more than 1,000 school districts, colleges and universities, professional bodies and over 10,000 businesses. Our vast breadth and scope in terms of both capabilities and assets sets us apart.
As an employer, we work hard to make sure this a great place where everyone has an opportunity to succeed, regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or other belief, marital status, pregnancy or parenthood. If you require any adjustments, or additional support within the recruitment process, please contact us directly and we’ll do our best to help.
To view our candidate privacy notice click here.
How you’ll help us succeed
This is a challenging and varied role. It offers an exciting opportunity to be part of the academic team responsible for delivering a major new licensing examination. You’ll help us to deliver world-leading assessments by developing questions in Business Organisations, Rules and Procedures for the SQE2 assessments. You will join an existing academic team comprising the Academic Director, Academic Heads SQE1 and SQE2 and Subject Heads SQE1 and 2 in various disciplines to contribute to the content and quality of the final SQE assessments.
Your role, in conjunction with the Academic Head SQE2, will include:
SQE 2 Question Development
- Identifying areas within the FLK requiring new SQE2 assessment questions
- Developing SQE2 assessment questions
- Commissioning the drafting of new SQE2 assessment questions from freelance writers
- Editing and overseeing the editing process for SQE2 assessment questions
Recruitment and Training
- Recruiting and training freelance SQE2 oral assessors, markers and assessment writers
- Coordinating a freelance team of writers, assessors and markers
- Attending and facilitating SQE2 question writing (oral and written assessment) training events
Assessment Windows and Quality Assurance
- Attending, facilitating and leading SQE2 calibration/standard setting oral assessment meetings for solicitor and actor assessors
- Attending SQE2 oral assessments at assessment venues as academic lead/facilitator
- Overseeing the marking process of SQE2 assessments, both oral and written
- Marking SQE2 assessments where appropriate
- Reviewing the statistical performance of questions and markers in your subject area and taking appropriate action as necessary
- Analysing assessor and marker feedback and ensuring feedback is fed forward with the aim of continuous improvement of the SQE2 assessment
In addition, you’ll also carry out other duties, within the broad scope and spirit of your role, as requested by your line manager or senior manager, including development and delivery of the QLTS OSCE assessments until 2022 and performing a quality assurance role in respect of SQE1. Our business is continuously evolving, so your job description will evolve too.
What you’ll bring:
- Professionally qualified as a solicitor of England and Wales
- Up to date knowledge of business law and legal practice
- The ability to use legal research databases proficiently
- The ability to think originally and analytically
- The ability to coordinate and develop a team of highly qualified and experienced solicitor freelance writers and assessors in your subject specialism
- The ability to respond positively under pressure to assessment editing and production deadlines
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including building strong and productive relationships with freelance question writers and assessors
- Strong presentation skills
- The ability to operate within a team and to work efficiently and sensitively with both fellow academic and academic resources staff
- Strong administrative skills including organisational, time and document management skills and attention to detail
- Willingness to be flexible and work within the business required hours
- Experience of writing, marking and editing QLTS or other professional legal assessments
- Knowledge or a willingness to develop a knowledge of assessment methodology for high stakes credentialing assessments
- Experience of teaching and/or examining law
- Experience of working in a professional environment with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience of leading and coordinating teams
- Dedication to continuous improvement
- Proven ability of working in a demanding and changing environment
What you can expect
A competitive salary & clear pay structures, progression paths, and a comprehensive benefits package. You’ll be joining a great place, driven by a shared purpose, where everyone can succeed and build a brighter future together.
How you can progress
From this role, your potential routes for progression include:
- Deputy Academic Head
- Academic Head