LEGAL COUNSEL, CONTENT
JOB TITLE: LEGAL COUNSEL, CONTENT
FUNCTION: CONTENT LEGAL & COMPLIANCE (Business & Legal Affairs)
REPORTING LINE: Senior Legal Counsel or Senior Compliance Advisor, Content
LOCATION: Hawley Crescent, London NW1A 8TT
WHO WE ARE
ViacomCBS Networks International, a unit of ViacomCBS Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAC), is comprised of many of the world’s most iconic consumer brands. Its portfolio of award winning channels, brands and platforms includes Channel 5 (RTS Channel of the Year 2020, Grierson Award Best Single Documentary 2020), MTV and Comedy Central (both are multiple Promax award winning channels), Nickelodeon, BET, Paramount Network, Smithsonian and Pluto (in the UK), CBS, Network 10, Telefe, Viacom 18 and ViacomCBS International Studios among others internationally. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, ViacomCBS Networks International provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions for partners on five continents and across more than 180 countries.
The Business and Legal Affairs (“BALA”) team in London are expanding the Content Legal & Compliance division to support its award winning commissioned content and in-house production house delivering to the entire portfolio of well-known channel brands and platforms. Channel 5’s strategy has led to a 40% increase in originations over the last 5 years, delivering over 2000 hours of originated content including popular factual, specialist factual, drama and current affairs.
This hugely trusted and well respected team works with commissioners, producers and editors across an enviable expanse of programming and content appealing to every demographic of the UK audience, in both public service and commercial broadcasting and content delivery.
WHO YOU ARE
There are lots of people here doing all sorts of jobs and we believe that having all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds makes this a great place to work. We have a number of Employee Resource Groups that look to support our employees from all walks of life and who face common challenges in the workplace and we hold tons of events all year round to nurture the best possible, inclusive environment.
WHAT IS THE ROLE
We are looking for an enthusiastic, collaborative content lawyer to join the Content Legal & Compliance BALA team in London. The role includes:
- Working with in-house producers and commissioners to provide programme and online content legal and regulatory advice on a broad range of issues that can include defamation, contempt, privacy, data protection, intellectual property as well as regulatory compliance within the Ofcom Broadcasting Code, advertising standards and practices
- Understanding editorial ambition and direction to advise effectively on both pre- and post-broadcast and online publication across multiple genres, which includes live output, journalism and news programming
- Analysing and balancing the risks involved in the production and publication process identifying potential consequences that may result in regulator sanctions and/or legal liabilities, both criminal and civil
- Collaborating with the rest of the BALA team and UK business to work within governance protocols, exercising appropriate judgment and seeking guidance and advice from others, particularly when there is a new or complex issue to address
- Advising on child protection and contributor duty of care, commercial references in programmes and teleshopping, sponsorship, product placement, broadcast competitions, election broadcasting and such other matters that arise from time to time
- Advising on editorial ethics affecting programmes and online content
- Managing reviews into programme and online content issues pre-and post-broadcast
- Handling and drafting responses to complaints and regulatory investigations including Ofcom standards or fairness and privacy complaints
- Reviewing policies, guidelines and protocols for the management of programmes
- Attending and advising at recordings, and live and ‘as- live’ programmes
- Training internal staff and production companies on legal and compliance issues affecting programme and online content
- Pre- and post-litigation management including instructing counsel and external solicitors
- Liaising and working closely with commissioners, production companies, press, programme management, business affairs, creatives, marketing and management
- Keeping up to date on the evolution of the law and practice in this area
- Embracing the ‘One ViacomCBS’ approach and encourage collaboration and team working
- Being an ambassador for all VCNI channels, internally and externally
- Adopting and promoting the ViacomCBS values and support a culture of inclusion
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED
- Qualified lawyer (barrister or solicitor) with 2-7 years’ PQ experience of legal/regulatory compliance issues as they relate to the creation and publication of content in the public service and commercial broadcasting space
- In-depth understanding of media law and regulation including defamation, contempt, privacy, copyright, data protection and the Ofcom Broadcasting Code and Guidance
- Experience of advising producers and commissioners pre- and post-broadcast on media law and regulation in relation to programmes and/or online and/or other media content
- Experience of media litigation – defendant and/or claimant work
- Experience of drafting/reviewing programme protocols, guidance notes, contributor contracts/releases and access agreements
- An approachable, professional persona with the ability to collaborate easily in a friendly and lively environment
- Skilled communicator comfortable adapting your style to be effective at all levels
- A good listener, willing to take on all details and ask the right questions, before approaching matters in a practical and analytical way
- Solid attention to detail and confidence in handling strict deadlines, providing an excellent service to key stakeholders around the busines
- Creative problem solving skills with strong and sound judgement in evaluating legal and editorial issues
- A passion for freedom of expression
- A committed and resilient team player with an ability to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines
- A willingness to learn quickly, adapt when appropriate and to apply new learnings to deliver practical solutions
WHAT ARE OUR VALUES
Our values, and their related behaviours, guide how we show up to work each day and help ensure that we all treat each other with respect. We want these to feel relevant to all of our employees and all parts of the business, as we believe that when these behaviours are achieved, we are the best we can be. The three values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
At ViacomCBS, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
WHAT ARE OUR BENEFITS
- Flexible Benefits Program: You’ll be able to tailor some benefits to meet your personal circumstances (After 3 months, annual thereafter)
- Private Medical Insurance: You will be eligible for our full Private Medial Cover (After 3 months)
- Life Assurance: 4 x salary (From date of joining)
- Group Income Protection: 60% of salary less state benefits (From date of joining)
- Season Ticket Loan: We’ll pay for your season travel card up front and you can pay us back across the year
- TV Package Discount: If you subscribe for the likes of Sky and Virgin Media, we’ll pay £20 (gross per month) towards your bill (After 3 months)
- Pension Scheme: You will be eligible for our Pension Scheme from day one, as long as you are contributing to this, we’ll top this up with a voluntary contribution from us
- Discounted Benefits: We offer discounts to dental plans, Gyms membership just to mention a couple
- Discounts at Local Shops and Restaurants: Whether you need a new pair of shoes or just want something tasty for lunch, we partner with a number of local businesses to offer us a discounted rate
- Access to Reward Gateway: With heaps of discounts on everyday shops, restaurants and household suppliers
- Happy to talk flexible working!
ViacomCBS takes its responsibility of being a Disability Confident Employer seriously and we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria of the role applied for. If you require any support or assistance during the interview process, please let your recruiter know or email email@example.com and we will be happy to help.