Senior Legal Counsel
Are you ambitious and powered by complex challenges? We are seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to support our drilling business and work closely with the entire Maersk Drilling organisation. Join us for an exciting career in a company committed to moving the boundaries of one of the world's most intriguing high-tech industries. You will engage in challenging international legal work with exposure to senior management within Maersk Drilling. This is your opportunity to join a dynamic company, where you will work closely with the business and have the opportunity to make a real impact.
As Senior Legal Counsel in Maersk Drilling you will be an integral part of a Legal department that supports all aspects of Maersk Drilling and works closely with the business to achieve our ambitious goals.
You will be offered a rare opportunity to gain insight into a global business, to participate in challenging international legal work with exposure to senior management and to support Maersk Drilling in all the jurisdictions in which it operates.
Maersk Drilling's corporate head office is located in Greater Copenhagen in Lyngby, Denmark, and you will be part of a department with 20 highly specialised senior lawyers. The position is based on local terms and conditions and you will be offered a very competitive salary package based on your experience. Depending on your personal circumstances, a preferential tax treatment may be available to you (subject eligibility) should you also be relocating to Denmark.
You will be part of a truly international company with employees representing 65 nationalities. We have a strong focus on diversity which is reflected in our strong talent focus, mindset and culture. This goes hand in hand with a commitment to inclusion: all employees are valued and treated with respect, and we believe that our employees thrive and perform better with a healthy work-life balance.
You will be responsible for providing first class legal support to Maersk Drilling.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on contracts relating to all Maersk Drilling’s activities, including drilling contracts with major international oil companies as well as partners and sub-contractors;
- Setting up corporate structures in new areas of operation and advising on day-to-day matters, often in complex countries;
- Working closely with major international law firms in Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia and Australasia;
- Advising on and handling legal disputes arising in Maersk Drilling;
- Translating complex legal concepts to stakeholders in other departments within Maersk Drilling;
- Understanding and communicating liability and risk profiles across the asset portfolio; and
- Leading projects within the Legal department and participating in cross-functional initiatives.
Who we are looking for
The ideal candidate has knowledge of, and at least 5+ years’ post qualification experience from an international law firm, corporate or other organisation.
In addition, you have broad experience with contract law and, in particular, complex international contracts. Preferably you also have some knowledge of English law (or a similar common law jurisdiction) as the majority of our contracts are governed by English law. Whilst knowledge of the offshore industry could be an advantage it is not a prerequisite. We are primarily focused on finding a candidate with the right tools and mindset who is willing to upskill themselves as evidenced by our current team which consists of senior lawyers who have previously specialised in financing, restructuring, dispute resolution and contentious regulatory work and other sectors.
As a person you are
- A high performer who thrives in a challenging and often unpredictable business environment;
- A skilled negotiator;
- Analytical and good at focusing on what is important even when faced with complex issues;
- Able to handle and prioritise many tasks at the same time;
- Very commercially minded;
- Team oriented;
- Self-driven and willing to take on individual responsibility for your work;
- Able to speak, read and write English fluently; and
- Able to travel 30-45 days a year.
We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and we may close applications prior to the advertised close date. Therefore we encourage you to apply online as soon as possible.
Only applications submitted via the "Apply for position" button on the job ad will be reviewed. Applications submitted to the contact below will not be reviewed or forwarded.
For additional information please contact Chief Legal Counsel, Olivier Hensby at Olivier.Hensby@maerskdrilling.com