Investment Counsel – Litigation Finance
Contract: Permanent or contract based.
An opportunity for an ambitious, self-motivated, and organised candidate to join the European arm of a global litigation fund. The opportunity offers a potentially exciting career change for a litigation lawyer seeking a new challenge in a fast-growing industry, with a beneficial work-life balance adjustment.
The fund has a broad mandate to make investments in carefully vetted commercial litigation and arbitration opportunities, with a primary focus on common-law jurisdictions.
Summary of the role
The fund is seeking to recruit an Investment Counsel to its European team. The role will report directly to the fund’s board and will assist the board in the evaluation and management of potential litigation finance opportunities.
Investment Counsel will be involved in every aspect of the transaction lifecycle, from origination and assessment, through to ongoing monitoring of existing investments.
- At least 5 years PQE with good practical experience across a broad range of commercial litigations and arbitrations.
- Competent to work on a self-sufficient basis with limited supervision.
- Personable with first class communication skills.
- The ability to build credible relationships.
- Organised and able to work to deadlines.
- A reasonable knowledge of litigation funding strongly preferred.
- Review and analysis of litigation finance opportunities, including legal merits, key risks and issues, damages analysis, enforcement risk
- Preparing and contributing to investment submission documentation, including initial case summaries, investment memoranda, legal analysis, term sheets
- Liaising and negotiating with prospective counterparties on commercial terms, due diligence and transaction documentation
- Ongoing monitoring and management of existing funding transactions
- Contributing to case origination, including attending or presenting at legal conferences, promoting the fund to existing contacts and developing relationships with law firms
- Remaining abreast of significant legal developments affecting the litigation finance industry
- Assisting as required with reporting and other corporate matters
Compensation and benefits:
After successful completion of a probation period, participation in a performance-related bonus based upon achieving certain performance metrics.
Place of Work:
Obviously recognising the current Covid pandemic and government guidance on travel and quarantine restrictions, travel will not be required in the initial months. As normal conditions resume, the candidate will be required to attend the London office and that of referring law firms as appropriate.
Hours of Work:
Full time, unless otherwise agreed. The fund can accommodate and encourages flexible working arrangements.