Chief Legal Officer
One of the most exciting legaltech businesses in London is looking to appoint an experienced corporate lawyer into the role of Chief Legal Officer.
Having raised funds with one of the biggest names in the VC world, and with consistent growth over the past few years, this is a critical and exciting time in the evolution of the company. Because of the nature of the products/services the business offers, the legal function is at the heart of everything, and this will be a highly visible role which will play a key part in the continued growth and success of the business.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Legal Officer will be responsible for a broad array of legal work, with a particular emphasis on refining and developing new products (currently related to corporate law matters concerning startups and SMEs, but with scope to shape the future) and, together with the commercial and legal team, help the company deliver its products and services to their customers.
You’ll manage the legal team and will have an immediate mandate to grow and develop that team further. This will require effective delegation and supervision, and the creation of systems and processes designed to drive efficiency.
Overall, this represents a rare opportunity for a commercially-minded lawyer to get involved in “non-legal” matters such as product development and content creation, in addition to contributing to the discussion around the changing shape of the legal services market.
The ideal candidate will be someone who possesses the following attributes/experience:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a minimum of 8 years’ PQE
- In-depth experience (4 years+) in private M&A/corporate law gained in the UK market, including specific expertise advising start-ups and SMEs on matters including shareholder/founder agreements, convertible loan notes and UK funding rounds. This experience should have been gained working for a well-regarded law firm.
- Previous experience of working in an in-house environment doing some general commercial work, whether that’s as an employee, a secondee from a law firm or even as a side hustle, volunteer, or working for a family business.
- Experience managing, supervising or mentoring more junior legal professionals. Even more important - you must actually enjoy this element of the role.
- You’ll be able to balance technical excellence and legal risk management on the one hand, with a passion for the commercial side, and the ability to be helpful to the commercial team and move the business forward.
- Growth mindset – the role needs someone that can help the business scale internationally, at speed.
- Hands-on approach – you must be willing to get stuck into a wide array of issues and documents, some novel/complex, others more routine. You’ll also bring a sizeable amount of passion, enthusiasm and energy to the role.
In return, you’ll be compensated with a very competitive basic salary and the opportunity to participate in the company’s employee incentive scheme. Also, your future colleagues are very cool and very nice!