Legal Counsel – UK Pensions and Benefits
Don’t miss the chance to play a part in the UK’s energy transition! This role could be your chance to make a mark in the energy industry. You’ll grow within a supportive, global company powering the lives of billions.
Our Legal department is fundamental to the success of our business. Shell employs about 700 lawyers in over 45 jurisdictions around the world, all of who operate in a challenging international business environment. The legal function in Shell is business oriented and focuses on adding value through partnering.
Our legal professionals are expected to bring a strategic mindset and high performance attitude to the table which allows Shell Legal to help shape the business and drive towards Shell’s ambition to reinforce our position as a leader in the oil and gas industry while helping to meet global energy demand in a responsible way.
Where you fit in
Expect lots of support and encouragement while you’re here. You’ll be working alongside people who love what they do and enjoy sharing their enthusiasm with everyone around them. We will give you the flexibility of a variety of opportunities within Shell while having a positive impact in the community and the world.
What’s the role?
This position reports to the Managing Counsel, UK Employment and Employee Benefits and provides legal advice and support to the member companies of the Shell occupational pension funds relating to UK employees and on the full range of share plans available worldwide to Shell employees and directors.
On the UK occupational pensions side
The Shell occupational pension funds concerned include defined benefit and defined contribution arrangements and have over 50,000 members and over $25 billion of assets supporting the pension liabilities. Your role includes providing legal advice on:
- Interpretation of and amendments to Trust Deeds and Regulations of the relevant schemes;
- employing company discretions under the Trust Deeds and Regulations and their exercise;
- pensions legislation and trust law in general;
- benefit design and day to day issues arising out of UK Shell occupational pension arrangements; and
- pensions advice on corporate transactions and queries arising from members and referrals to TPAS and the Pension Ombudsman.
On the employee share plan benefits side:
The plans in scope include global share plans, long term incentive, deferred bonus and restricted stock plans, legacy stock option plans, UK tax approved plans and non-share based deferred cash arrangements. Your role includes providing legal advice on:
- drafting of/amendments to, plan rules/award documents to the extent they are governed by English law;
- organisation and maintenance of legal compliance/due diligence processes relating to the plans; and
- legal advice relating to annual award events and cycles, plan communications, and individual cases/disputes under the various plans.
As the role develops you may also be asked to advise more widely on executive remuneration matters.
This vacancy offers the successful candidate the unique opportunity to combine advancing their career as a specialist through the breadth of pension and employee benefits legal issues you would expect at a company listed on the stock exchanges of London, Amsterdam and New York, with practising law at the highest professional standard in a very challenging global business environment.
What we need from you:
You will be an exceptional graduate with a degree or equivalent and a professional legal qualification, with a solid grounding in providing advice on legal issues that arise in relation to UK occupational pension schemes.
You will also have a solid working knowledge of English contract and trust law as well as a basic knowledge of securities law. You will have a proven track record of providing concise and accurate advice and an ability to pick up new areas of law quickly. Fluency in written and spoken English is a pre-requisite.
Beyond that, we’re keen to see CVs which include as many of the following as possible:
- strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal and influencing skills;
- the ability to distil complex legal concepts into pragmatic and user-friendly advice;
- experience of advising in relation to share plans would be highly advantageous but not essential; and
- the ability to work as part of a team and with a variety of internal and external stakeholders from diverse cultural backgrounds.
We are prepared to consider candidates wishing to work full time or part time on 4 days a week.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
Interested in this position?
We are happy to get in touch with you! You can send your application by using the "Apply" button.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection . This describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.