Senior Employment Lawyer
A market leader in the space they operate.
- Partner closely with the HR Directors & HR Business Partners within all three brands to drive best practice, provide solution orientated, risk based legal advice.
- Ensure appropriate proactive reporting on, and escalating of, Key Employment and Industrial Relations matters.
- Maximise brand protection and minimise reputational risk.
- Establish and maintain relationships, credibility and trust with Stakeholders, Legal & HR team members and other colleagues.
- Work collaboratively with others in Legal, sharing and utilising the expertise of other teams as required and foster a collegiate and collective approach, particularly with legal colleagues supporting all three brands.
- Identify and assess HR-related legal risks and make recommendations for process improvements.
- Assess, plan and prioritise all legal work and, where necessary, instruct external legal counsel to provide value-for-money support.
- Typical areas of focus include, but are not limited to:
- Delivering clear advice on the risk, merit and quantum in employment and industrial relations disputes, and managing claims in line with the Group's interests.
- Drafting, reviewing and updating the full range of employment related documentation and providing associated support to the HR Team as appropriate.
- Providing advice and support to the HR teams on complex employee relations matters including contractual matters, information and consultation requirements, grievance, disciplinary and appeal investigations, discrimination and equal opportunities, terminations (including settlement agreements), redundancy and restructuring projects, and employment policies
- Supporting the all brands and the commercial legal team with merger and acquisition activity as required, including the related integration of new employees across the Group and/or transfers of employees into/out of the Group in connection with commercial transactions.
- Ensuring the General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel, and the HR Leadership Team are kept updated on relevant Employment and Industrial Relations legislation changes and the implications for Group.
- Creating and delivering employment law training to regional offices
- Developing policy and procedures
- Interpreting employee relation data, providing analysis and commercially based solutions
- Drafting, reviewing and amending contracts of employment
- Managing the relationships with outside counsel on employment related matters
- Perform other tasks as assigned from time to time by the General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel and the Global HR Leadership Team.
Strong commercial acumen: understands how the business works and appreciates the role that the legal function can play in supporting business objectives;
Manages priorities effectively to ensure that business critical matters are appropriately addressed and supported in a timely manner;
Ability to implement commercially based, practical solutions to mitigate employee relation related risks
Keeps the General Counsel and HR teams informed of all matters that present significant financial and/or reputational risk and/or have the potential to materially and adversely affect the business;
An approachable, down to earth, straightforward, resilient and persuasive personality with strong negotiation, communication and influencing skills;
The self-confidence and strength of character to speak his or her mind, combined with the sensitivity, judgement and tact to know when to insist and when to pull back;