Banking Knowledge Lawyer
Your new company
Working within the Banking team, the individual will provide a high quality technical advisory knowledge service to the Banking Service Line UK offices, and will also work with partners in the International group. The successful candidate will play a central role in the technical and wider knowledge work of my firms Banking team; applicants should be comfortable advising lawyers and partners within their business on complex technical Banking matters and also presenting to external clients and contacts. My client encourages flexible working and this role will be well-suited to a senior Banking fee earner looking to move to a Knowledge Lawyer position, or to an existing PSL interested in joining a growing and dynamic practice.
The team of finance lawyers provides a specialist service for banks, lenders, businesses and sponsors and can advise across the range of finance options, from debt financing to equity fundraisings and crowdfunding. The firm have been a key part of the European debt mid-market for years. Their work for lenders is characterised by high-quality risk management delivered in a commercially appropriate way. Their bank-panel positions make them an obvious choice for multi-bank transactions. They also advise major public companies, sponsors, investors and private companies alike. In certain areas the firm is acknowledged as a leading firm nationally, and their banking team benefits accordingly. For example, they have a market leading reputation acting for banks and borrowers in the following key sectors: TMC, Energy & Utilities, Financial Services, Real Estate & Infrastructure, Healthcare, Hotels and leisure and Education. The Banking team members are based across the Southern offices and are made up of over 35 lawyers in total, including 11 partners. The successful applicant will report to the Head of Knowledge for Projects, Real Estate & Finance (PREF).
Your new role
The key responsibilities of the role will include:
- To keep, and have responsibility for keeping, the Banking team on top of relevant legal and regulatory change; preparing and distributing reader-friendly and relevant internal and client alerts/bulletins/updates.
- To play an integral part in the coding of Banking precedents into Contract Express and their roll-out and use in transaction teams.
- To organise know-how sharing, including authoring and collecting external and internal know-how, storing it in knowledge database, and arranging and leading know-how sharing sessions.
- To organise the Banking team's legal training programme and deliver some of the substantive training sessions.
- To develop and maintain an up-to-date and technically excellent collection of Banking precedent documents, following an assessment of fee earner needs.
- To deal with queries from lawyers across the Firm and clients regarding current law and practice.
- To assist in the preparation of client seminars and client training sessions and to speak at such seminars.
- To assist in the co-ordination and quality control, in conjunction with the Communications team, of publications/articles/press releases produced by the Banking team for either external or internal publication.
What you'll need to succeed
The successful applicant will demonstrate:
- Strong theoretical, practical and up-to-date knowledge of relevant Banking law and regulation, with suitable post-qualification fee earning (or equivalent) experience spanning transactional work and gained within a leading business law firm, in-house or at a relevant regulatory body.
- Contract Express coding experience is not essential, but a proven aptitude for the automation of legal precedent documentation is highly desirable, as is an understanding that the coding of precedents into Contract Express (with support from our Contract Express team) is a key part of the role.
- Behaviours expected of an experienced fee earner and team player; ability to make decisions and progress work and projects quickly without undue process; has confidence in own abilities and generates the confidence of others; a focused "doer".
- Understanding of how knowledge is acquired by the lawyer and client audience, particularly in relation to the use of digital media, and how knowledge is now delivered using online and social media tools.
- Enthusiasm for presenting technical legal and regulatory issues in a clear, approachable and professional way.
- A proven ability to research and analyse complex areas of law and regulation without supervision and to identify the key commercial issues for the firms clients arising out of that analysis.
- A client-orientated approach - both internally and externally; ability to think laterally and to develop ideas in relation to business opportunities and training; appreciation of fee earner needs and constraints; commercially aware.
- Prior Knowledge Lawyer experience is not a pre-requisite, but a good understanding of how large law firms' Knowledge functions operate and of the wider commercial priorities of a client-focused business is a distinct advantage.
What you'll get in return
You will benefit from my clients multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this will provide you with, clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress, high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure, thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues, robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you, reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.