Senior Counsel - Commercial & Outsourcing
Do you love versatile, complex contract negotiations? Do you have experience of outsourcing deals or other commercial contracts (preferably in the financial services sector)? Do you want to provide a first-class legal service to one of the largest financial services organisations in the UK? If so, Aviva is seeking an expert Solicitor (or Barrister) to join our Commercial & Outsourcing legal team.
This is an enticing role with exposure to major outsourcing and other large-value contracts. The role will involve the delivery of legal advice (including contract drafting and negotiation) and the management of service delivery and diverse client relationships, potentially across several jurisdictions. This role can be based in Norwich, York or London, although there will be a requirement to travel to other UK locations occasionally.
You will deal with a wide variety of suppliers but particularly in the outsourcing, IT, marketing, data, facilities and claims fulfilment sectors. You will work closely with your team and the wider legal function, building rewarding relationships with key internal clients, not to mention striking up a rapport with senior leaders and their teams. With the opportunity to expand your knowledge and understanding at every opportunity, you’ll join a culture of continuous learning and accelerated performance.
You’ll be expected to monitor and mitigate legal risk to Aviva and ensure appropriate liaison and cooperation with business units to promote risk management reporting and control. You will also be expected to actively monitor legal developments likely to impact Aviva’s contracting and outsourcing activity and contribute enthusiastically to the sharing of expertise across our wider Group Legal team.
What skills & experiences are required?
- Senior lawyer with previous contract drafting and negotiation experience with appropriate technical knowledge (including general contract law and data protection)
- Experience of dealing with senior management/executive colleagues
- Proven background in managing projects, negotiations and relationships with third parties and external advisers
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and problem solve in a creative and innovative manner
- Competencies across strategy, collaboration and team working, judgement and customer delivery
- A positive, “can do” attitude
- The ability to manage a varied workload and to prioritise accordingly
- We want a dedicated, communicative, robust, flexible individual with a positive attitude and a desire to be an involved member of a strong and engaged team
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
We care about the well-being of our employees
How you feel at home, work and all aspects of your life are important to us. Our programme – ‘Be Healthy’, ‘Be Mindful’, ‘Be Secure’ and ‘Be Awesome’ supports your physical, mental, financial and social well-being.
Here are just a few highlights:
- You’ll be able to download Aviva Digital GP - a 24/7 personal GP service that enables you to get a video consultation with a GP and pharmacy service at the touch of a button
- We offer all UK employees subscriptions to Headspace for FREE
- We have subsidised 70% off the normal gym membership prices, meaning for a reduced monthly fee you will have access to a wide range of fitness venues
Additional Information and Equal Opportunity
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we love to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Our diversity and inclusion policies and initiatives are crafting an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of age, disability, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, maternity or those with other caring responsibilities. Our approach helps to ensure that Aviva is a place which values difference and provides equal opportunities for all.
As a disability confident employer, we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability (as defined in The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website and then email the contact listed in the advert to notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Daniel Hopchet in the Resourcing team.