We have a dynamic vacancy for a Senior Counsel in Aviva plc’s head office in London. In this role, reporting to the Director of Legal, Corporate and Reinsurance, you’ll work hand-in-hand with the business to advise and deliver on the Aviva Group’s strategic priorities.
With a focus on corporate and finance cases, you will have the opportunity to work across a range of matters: whilst we are looking for someone with a good understanding of reinsurance arrangements (long term or general insurance business, ideally both) to support the teams’ reinsurance workload, the role will also provide you with an opportunity to work on FinTech corporate venturing, big-ticket international M&A, capital management transactions (including debt capital markets matters), Group insurance and a range of corporate advisory issues (including the Group’s legal risk reporting and management). Ideally, your background will include working on corporate or contentious reinsurance matters.
It’s an opportunity like no other because as well as working in-house for the UK’s largest insurer, there is a strong transactional focus. It means collaborating closely with your team and the wider legal function, building rewarding relationships with key internal clients, not to mention striking up a rapport with senior leaders and their teams. With the opportunity to expand your knowledge and understanding at every opportunity, you’ll join a culture of continuous learning and accelerated performance.
What skills & experiences are required?
- Commercial experience as a senior lawyer with relevant post qualifying experience with a leading firm and/or a financial institution
- Ambition to understand the strategy, values and behaviours of a FTSE 100 financial institution and to experience in-house business partner management
- Proven ability to manage projects or cases, negotiations and relationships with third parties
- Demonstrable ability to troubleshoot and problem solve in a creative and innovative manner and work with agility across a range of areas
- Strong technical knowledge of applicable areas of law, including reinsurance, and desire to improve and further expertise
- Excellent oral and written communication and analytical skills
- Experience providing technical leadership and knowledge-sharing to upskill colleagues through mentoring on areas of expertise
- Personal competencies: great teammate, dedicated, communicative, robust, flexible, with a positive attitude and a dream to be an involved member of a strong, engaged team
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
We care about the well-being of our employees
How you feel at home, work and all aspects of your life are important to us. Our programme – ‘Be Healthy’, ‘Be Mindful’, ‘Be Secure’ and ‘Be Awesome’ supports your physical, mental, financial and social well-being.
Here are just a few highlights:
- You can download Aviva Digital GP - a 24/7 personal GP service that enables you to get a video consultation with a GP and pharmacy service at the touch of a button
- We offer all UK employees subscriptions to Headspace for FREE
- We have subsidised 70% off the normal gym membership prices, meaning for a reduced monthly fee you will have access to a wide range of fitness venues
Additional Information and Equal Opportunity
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we love to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Our diversity and inclusion policies and initiatives are crafting an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of age, disability, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, maternity or those with other caring responsibilities. Our approach helps to ensure that Aviva is a place which values difference and provides equal opportunities for all.
As a disability confident employer, we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability (as defined in The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website and then email the contact listed in the advert to notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Daniel Hopchet in the Resourcing team.