Corporate Lawyer - Southampton
Starling, the leading digital bank, is on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We’ve built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we’ve opened more than 600,000 accounts, including over 45,000 SME accounts, and our customers trust us with over £400m of their money. We’ve won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 500 people in our City of London office, with plans to create up to 150 new jobs at our Southampton site.
We are a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
The role is principally a corporate law one with an element of commercial advice also. You will be the sole lawyer based in our new Southampton office. You will be part of a small but dynamic legal team (the rest of which is London based). You will report into the General Counsel providing corporate support on a range of matters and will support the Southampton office on general commercial matters. The role represents a fantastic opportunity to join a growing team, to launch the legal function in an office and to make your mark at one of the UK’s most exciting fintechs.
The work will include:
- Advising on corporate and investment matters, including due diligence, disclosure, shareholder agreements, articles and share schemes, regulatory requirements on capital, and related matters;
- Providing support on a range of commercial and regulatory issues across the bank’s retail and SME banking businesses in Southampton, including drafting and negotiating a range of commercial agreements to support the development of the business, employment matters;
- Managing multiple projects and supporting colleagues to ensure business and enterprise-wide initiatives are executed in a timely and accurate manner;
- Instructing and working with outside counsel where necessary on specialist matters.
- Excellent legal training and 2-6 years PQE, principally in corporate or finance matters;
- Experience in other commercial matters;
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and be keen to grow and develop within the organisation
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site