DEPUTY GC, COMMERCIAL LAWYER, LONDON
DEPUTY GENERAL COUNSEL
Guardian Media Group (GMG) is amongst the UK's leading media organisations. Its core business is Guardian News & Media, publisher of theguardian.com, one of the largest English-speaking quality news websites in the world.
GMG is owned by the Scott Trust in a unique structure that exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity and to safeguard the journalistic freedom and liberal values of The Guardian, free from commercial or political interference.
A role has arisen for an experienced commercial lawyer to join GMG. Reporting to the General Counsel & Company Secretary, you will work closely with the legal team on a range of legal issues.
In particular, you will be responsible for:
* Reviewing, negotiating and drafting a broad range of commercial contracts including content and digital agreements, joint ventures arrangements, advertising deals and technology agreements
* Managing external counsel in the UK and abroad and supporting on a wide range of matters
* Deputising for the General Counsel as and when required and assisting with the leadership and management of the legal function, including attendance at leadership meetings, informal mentoring/support of more junior lawyers, helping with the development of strategy for the department and representation on cross-functional committees
* Providing wise counsel to colleagues within the organisation including the handling of disputes, commercial arrangements and generally
* Advising on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious commercial legal matters including in the areas of intellectual property, technology, digital content and commercial disputes
* Supporting legal and compliance training programs as required
The ideal candidate will be an experienced commercial lawyer with an excellent grounding from a top tier law firm, with in-house experience ideally in a publishing, news, technology or digital media context.
This is a highly visible role with significant contact at senior stakeholder level. You must have excellent communication, negotiation, drafting and project management skills. Strong organisational skills and the ability to get things done, whilst balancing legal and commercial risks appropriately, are key to this role. So are strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy.
In return, we offer you an exciting opportunity to work in a non-hierarchical, collegiate and purpose-driven company that offers a stimulating, dynamic and enjoyable working environment.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.