At DeepMind, we've created a unique environment for long-term ambitious research to flourish in. Our world-class interdisciplinary team is focused on combining the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high-profile breakthroughs, and we now have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. We are looking for highly talented and driven individuals who want to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment, working on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact.
law. Technological innovations require creative and proactive legal counsel. You will need to be collaborative, being ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the company. As an integrated part of the team, you’ll proactively assess legal risks and advise on cutting-edge research and products that will have a transformative effect on society.
The role: IP Counsel - London, UK or Mountain View, USA
The DeepMind legal team is looking for an adept and experienced IP counsel. You will be responsible for patents and other IP-related matters, working closely with researchers, engineers and other cross-functional teams to identify patentable ideas and prepare and file patent applications. You will be required to manage our trade mark portfolio and also provide ongoing advice, guidance and support on copyright and trade-secret matters, and draft and negotiate IP provisions in our contracts.
- Develop a macro view and drive strategy for DeepMind’s patent and trade mark portfolio.
- Determine areas for patenting, identify patentable subject matter, and manage a docket of active patent matters and outside patent counsel to prepare filings and ensure quality and timely work product.
- Be responsible for brand protection, including managing DeepMind’s trade mark portfolio and any related disputes.
- Advise all areas of the business on IP issues, including patents, copyright, trade mark and trade secrets.
- Review, draft and negotiate agreements with business partners, with a particular focus on licensing and intellectual property agreements.
- Educate and train researchers and business teams on patent and other IP issues.
- Oversee contentious IP matters faced by the business.
- Work with the policy team to consider areas emerging from US/Canadian/EU/UK regulation that may affect DeepMind’s IP strategy.
- BA/BS/LLB/JD degree or equivalent.
- US or UK-qualified attorney/solicitor, with 7+ years’ post-qualified experience in private practice and/or an in-house team.
- Experience filing and prosecuting patent applications in cutting-edge hardware and software.
- Experience advising on copyright and managing a trade mark portfolio.
- Solid technical background/understanding of AI.
- Experience developing integrated IP strategies that support business goals.
- Prior in-house experience at a technology-focused organisation working side-by-side with the business and leadership to spot, address, and counsel on IP issues.
- Prior in-house experience at a company working on and managing patent matters.
- Experience preparing patent filings.
- Experience of advising on contentious IP matters.
- Knowledge of industry tools and resources to manage patent portfolios.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and experience collaborating with cross-functional teams.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know