Commercial Contracts Lawyer
SYNLAB in the UK is a trusted expert in clinical laboratory services, drug and alcohol testing, food testing, oil and fuel analysis and veterinary testing. We bring the highest quality and reliability to tests which really matter.
As the business is expanding, we are searching for a Commercial Contracts Lawyer to join the team. The role will initially be for a 6-month period with a strong possibility of becoming permanent.
Reporting to SYNLAB’s Commercial Legal Counsel, you will provide legal and commercial advice to our laboratory businesses with a focus on our drug and alcohol testing entities. Your work will include review and negotiation of a wide range of customer and supplier contracts.
Working with the support of legal and commercial colleagues, you will assist with ensuring compliance, minimising risks and achieving SYNLAB legal, strategic and financial objectives.
- Negotiate, draft and review a range of commercial contracts including customer and supplier agreements, consulting agreements, letters of intent, data processing agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and other similar documents.
- Build effective customer and supplier relationships, including with customer/supplier legal representatives.
- Provide efficient commercial, contractual and legal advice to the business, delivering updates and training to business colleagues as required.
- Maintain records of and support colleagues (including customer relationship managers, operations and finance team members) with understanding and adhering to the terms of executed contracts.
- Provide commercial and legal input into new business opportunities including commercial/legal oversight of responses to public sector and private sector tenders and requests for proposals.
- Support the development and implementation of robust commercial and legal processes and initiatives across the business (including SYNLAB Group policies e.g. for data protection and modern slavery compliance).
- Support other general business projects as they arise.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 3+ PQE operating as a Commercial/Contracts Lawyer, including demonstrated understanding of GDPR in this context.
- Experience negotiating and drafting commercial contracts and resolving contractual and commercial problems.
- Excellent technical drafting and document writing abilities.
- The ability to act independently but recognising the need for support/escalation, flexibility and energy with a pragmatic down to earth approach.
- Interest in and understanding of laboratory/pathology services.
- Experience working with or for a provider of public sector or private sector healthcare services.
- Experience of working in an in-house legal environment.
PQE stated is a guide only and we have a flexible approach to post qualification experience.