Legal Counsel - Commercial Contracts
Bright Horizons Family Solutions is the UK’s leading childcare provider, and it’s our people who allow us to achieve this. With a portfolio of over 300 nurseries, and a 30 year history, we are proud to have been trusted by many families to provide their children with naturally inspiring, exceptional care and education for the early years, and proud to have been voted Great Place to Work for the last 13 consecutive years.
Our in house Legal department cover all legal issues which arise from operating a business in the early years, well-being and work / life sector. Working in partnership with many departments, covering a variety of legal areas such as; contracts, leases, employment, acquisitions, risk mitigation, legal dispute resolution, litigation and general legal advice. Much of the legal work is at the cutting edge of business practice, as Bright Horizons continues to grow and find innovative ways to help support its customers. The primary focus for this role will be to support commercial transactions.
The hours for this role are flexible, and can be full or part time. The location this role can be based can be also flexible, either being office based (London, Chesham, Rushden or Wilmslow), or alternatively can be home based. Travel to other UK offices will be required on occasion for meetings.
- Promote, support and implement the Legal Department’s mission, initiatives and goals/ objectives
- Protect and represent the business’ interests, and support maintaining its operations within the scope established by law.
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of commercial contracts
- Structure commercial transactions to be most advantageous from a legal and business perspective
- Support acquisitions as required
- Support the development of risk mitigation strategies for operations, commercial documents and acquisitions
- Counsel, advise, and consult company stakeholders based on an accurate interpretation of the law, commercial documents and the facts of a business opportunity or risk
- Support the development of internal guidelines, toolkits, and packaged knowledge on various business issues
- Support, promote and implement initiatives in partnership with various departments, such as; Operations, Acquisitions, Client Services, Client Relations, Health and Safety, Facilities, and Marketing
- Monitor the handling of claims by external lawyers as applicable
- Fully qualified solicitor, with previous experience working with Commercial Contracts
- Holds an in depth understanding of commercial law, as well as an understanding of relevant legal issues such as intellectual property, data protection, and contested matters
- Experienced in negotiating complex commercial contracts, that protects the agreed financial / business terms
- Confident in providing commercially practical legal advice that balances and protects the risks to the business
- Outstanding people and relationship building skills
- Able to translate complex legal concepts to non- legal audience
- Able to manage multiple projects at one time, with the focus and drive
Because of the nature of this job, it will be necessary for the appropriate level of criminal record disclosure to be undertaken. Therefore, it is essential in making your application you disclose whether you have any pending charges, convictions, bind-overs or cautions and, if so, for which offences. This post will be exempt from the provisions of Section 4 (2) of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Therefore, applicants are not entitled to withhold information about convictions which for other purposes are ‘spent’ under the provision of the Act, and, in the event of the employment being taken up, any failure to disclose such convictions will result in dismissal or disciplinary action. The fact that a pending charge, conviction, bind-over or caution has been recorded against you will not necessarily debar you from consideration for this appointment.