Head of Employment Law
4 days left
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to head up our Employment Law team
This team is one of the largest and fastest growing employment teams in the East Midlands, recognised by The Legal 500 as acting for “an impressive list of regional and national businesses on contentious and non-contentious employment matters”.
The Head of Employment Law will be responsible for overseeing a team of seven fee-earners, three support staff and two employment-dedicated business development individuals.
As well as taking an active lead on team development and mentoring, the Head of Employment Law is responsible for leading business development efforts and taking on more complex fee-earning matters.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive, the Head of Employment Law is also responsible for setting team strategy and managing performance in accordance with financial and team targets.
- Setting and presenting an annual strategic plan for the Employment Law team, working closely with the Chief Executive and Chief Operations Officer to construct team targets in relation to fees, time recording and business development
- Assisting with the annual budget review process
- Holding a monthly departmental meeting to report on team performance and following up with one-to-one reviews where required
- Attending quarterly head of department meetings to represent the Employment Law team
- Attending monthly one-to-ones with the Chief Executive and Chief Operations Officer, reporting on departmental priorities and its financial performance
- Providing supervision to junior fee-earners, signing off work as and when required
- Overseeing the personal development of each team member, ensuring that individual goals are met throughout the year through mentoring and technical guidance
- Ensuring that matters are appropriately allocated to fee-earners within the team, regularly assessing their capacity and delegating work effectively
- Proactively driving the performance of the team to achieve continued financial growth year-on-year
- Assisting in the recruitment process for vacancies within the Employment Law team, including proactive headhunting and drafting job specifications
- Conducting candidate interviews for all roles within the Employment Law team with the HR Manager
- Fee-earning responsibilities
- You will be expected to manage a varied caseload of complex matters including:
- Providing employment law advice to education and commercial clients
- Drafting advice reports, supporting clients with processes and other documentation such as settlement agreements
- Assisting clients with HR processes and procedures
- Handling cases through tribunal proceedings
- Providing support on employment issues arising in transactions
As well as managing a personal caseload of more complex matters, you would be responsible for taking on additional workloads in the instance that the department is nearing full capacity. You would also be expected to keep your personal employment law knowledge up-to-date, communicating new advancements to the wider team.
You will work alongside the Business Development team to ensure that there is a cohesive and proactive strategy to managing current and prospective clients.
Amongst other things, you will:
- Take an active lead in managing the Employment Law team’s client experience
- Attend client meetings where necessary
- Ensure that the renewal process for existing clients is seamless and proactive in its approach
- Prepare and conduct external training sessions on employment law for prospective and existing clients
- Alongside the Employment Law team’s Client Relationship Manager, regularly report on business development figures to senior management
You will be expected to work alongside the Head of Compliance to ensure all audit requirements are upheld within the Employment Law team, this includes the ISO accreditations, health and safety and data protection. Furthermore, you will conduct regular file audits for junior fee-earners and provide feedback to the individual and the head of compliance.
Client relations and communications
You will ensure that:
- All client interactions are managed in a professional manner and are in accordance with our Client Charter
- Clients are immediately made aware of major developments in their matter
- Calls are returned on the same day where possible
- Emails and calls are acknowledged by you or a colleague
- Establish the client’s preferred method of communication
- Consider whether there is a need for documentation to be password protected
Policies and procedures
You will be expected to:
- Follow company and department policies and procedures
- Protect the privacy and security of clients and co-workers
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information where applicable
- Ensure dress code and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by the Chief Executive