What can you expect
The NFU offers you an exciting, quality training scheme within the NFU’s Legal Affairs Team. The Legal Affairs Team is a small, busy legal team. We are committed to providing high quality legal advice to the NFU’s Officeholders and Directors and staff across the country, as well as providing legal support to the NFU’s farmer and grower members. You’ll be working in a unique, fast-paced environment where variety is paramount.
The Legal Affairs Team provides advice on a variety of issues and the last six months have seen the Team involved in the following:
- Litigation in the Supreme Court as an Intervener in a high profile case concerning meat processing. The team manged the intervention in-house with assistance from Counsel.
- Pursuing litigation in the European Court of Justice as an Intervener in two high profile cases concerning plant protection products.
- Advising internal clients on industry supply contracts.
- Providing legal advice and support to members on a number of industry insolvencies.
- Providing legal advice to internal clients on a wide range of environmental issues.
- Advising on a significant breach of contract claim with serious implications for NFU members.
- Advising internal clients on the legal aspects of “Brexit” and international trade.
Where you will go?
We want to provide our Trainee Solicitors with a tailored comprehensive legal training, and a detailed understanding of the industry. We will provide you with experience of as many areas of the organisation as possible. This is likely to include some travel to our offices throughout England, Wales and possibly Brussels, including overnight trips. Farm visits and member meetings are also likely to be included as part of your training experience, to provide you with a greater understanding of the agricultural industry and the needs and requirements of our members (see below). You will also benefit from a secondment of up to 3 months with one of our panel firms of Solicitors.
What will you experience?
Your comprehensive training will encompass all of the Solicitors Regulation Authority Practice Skills Standards and will provide an excellent grounding for qualification as a Solicitor. Your training will include the following:
- A variety of experience through individual assignments, research and team project work with other technical specialists within the NFU.
- Attendance on and completion of the Professional Skills Course.
- A placement of up to 3 months with one of the NFU panel firms of Solicitors. During this placement you will focus on litigation and ADR.
- Access to a relocation fund, to make moves between placements easier (where moves are required).
- Full support and guidance whilst on placement with access to a dedicated Training Principal, as well as other qualified solicitors within the NFU Legal Affairs Team.
During your 2 year training programme you will have exposure to and develop an understanding of many of the following areas of law:
Company, Media, Contracts, Tort, Competition, Property, Regulatory, Environment, Employment, Animals / Animal Health, Administrative / Public, Agricultural Payment Schemes, Insolvency, Rights of Way and Commons, Water and Drainage, Litigation / ADR
How to apply
Please use the apply button to download the Trainee Solicitor Application Form from our website and email to email@example.com by 24th April 2019.
If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to an assessment centre on 21st May 2019. If successful at assessment centre, you will be invited to a second interview on a date to be confirmed in June 2019. Successful candidates will start with the NFU during September 2019.
If you have any questions on any of the above, please call 024 7685 8858 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to find out more about this opportunity, click here