Senior In-House Counsel (12 months contract)
Salary: circa £75,000 plus comprehensive benefits
A full time role with the world's leading professional body for qualifications and standards in land, property, infrastructure and construction.
In this organisation you’ll shape your world: enjoy your work, be given responsibility and build a rewarding career. The work of our professionals touches every aspect of life, and our international standards across land, real estate, construction and infrastructure are shaping the world itself. A global force for positive change, we are building consistency and confidence that help to protect the public and safeguard the environment.
You’ll play a vital role in bringing this to life – we’re an influential organisation where you can really make a difference. The world faces huge challenges and we have demanding goals; we need your drive and enterprising spirit to help us achieve them.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior In-House Counsel to join our Legal Services team in London. This is a 12-month contract role, covering maternity leave, paying an annual equivalent salary of circa £75,000, plus comprehensive benefits.
The purpose of this role is to support our General Counsel in the effective delivery of accurate, timely, high-quality, solution focused and commercially minded legal advice on the full range of issues encountered by the organisation.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Advising the organisation in the UK and globally in connection with BAU activities (including marketing and promotional initiatives) and strategic projects (including the establishment of new legal entities, alliance and collaboration agreements and EU funded bid proposals).
- Providing pragmatic, solution focussed legal advice including identification and mitigation of legal risks.
- Regular instruction of external legal provision, including managing delivery of service and the associated costs.
- Supporting General Counsel in the strategy, management and protection of the international IPR portfolio and brand.
- Working closely with Procurement on complex tenders and contracting arrangements.
- Working closely with the Digital Team to prepare and negotiate systems integration agreements, software licences, and outsourcing arrangements.
- Working closely with the Privacy Team on data protection, privacy law and the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- Occasional advice on charity law and compliance (e.g. Modern Slavery Act, anti-bribery and corruption, gender pay gap reporting), and litigation.
- Staying abreast of relevant legal developments, advising and providing training on the same, to colleagues throughout the organisation.
- Leadership and supervision of team members and colleagues, including management of stakeholder expectations.
- Timely and high-quality delivery of projects which support achievement of the strategic objectives.
- Provision of innovative solutions which achieve efficiencies and cost effectiveness wherever possible.
- To act as Data Protection Champion within the legal team to ensure GDPR compliance and other statutory provisions.
The ideal candidate will have / be:
- Qualified solicitor (5+ years PQE) with previous in-house experience preferred but not essential.
- Strong corporate, commercial background with good knowledge of intellectual property law, data protection, GDPR, procurement and with experience in marketing, IT contracts and litigation highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to influence at all levels.
- Able to multi-task, manage competing deadlines and engage with multiple stakeholders at all levels, including the Executive Leadership team on a frequent basis.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively, taking the lead on strategic projects and supervising delivery from colleagues to achieve project milestones.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified candidates from a wide array of backgrounds to apply because we know that it’s the differences in our people that make the difference to our performance.