Assistant Legal Directors
Assistant Legal Directors
Location: London or Edinburgh
Salary: £68,946 - £77,300
We’re looking for talented Lawyers to join our advisory teams within the CMA Legal Service. With markets changing fast, and the prospect of legal change related to the EU exit, this is an exciting time to join us. Our work is varied, complex and highly rewarding. As a lawyer in the CMA Legal Service, you will be encouraged to apply your legal skills across a number of our practice areas while also developing specialist expertise. You will work alongside like-minded professionals on cases which can directly benefit the lives of everyone in the UK.
Successful applicants will play a critical part in the delivery of high-quality legal analysis from the outset of a project, shaping the legal framework, assessing evidence and ensuring that we produce legally robust decisions – as well as defending those decisions in court.
Our advisory lawyers are embedded in project teams working across the CMA’s entire portfolio as follows:
- Competition law enforcement (e.g. the recent paroxetine and the phenytoin cases).
- Consumer law enforcement (e.g. tackling misleading online reviews and endorsements, unfair promotions by gambling firms and concerns with secondary ticket sales).
- Merger control: (e.g. the current Phase 2 investigation into the Sainsbury/Asda merger and the recent ICE/Trayport litigation).
- Markets work: (e.g. the current funerals market study and recent investment consultants market investigation).
- Regulatory work: ensuring fair conduct in the appeals and references to the CMA in regulated sectors – often concerning key price controls.
- State Aid: supporting decisions by the CMA in relation to the approval process and enforcement functions concerning state aid.
We welcome applications from lawyers with an interest in any of these practice areas and the desire to work across a number of tools over time.
We will be holding the following open-house events and we invite anyone interested in applying for one of our vacancies to attend to find out more about the CMA’s Legal Service, its work and our staff. Please click the link to secure your place.
- CMA, One Lochrin Square, 92 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, EH3 9QA
13 March 2019 - 5.30 – 7.30 pm (registration 5.00 – 5.30 pm)
- CMA, Victoria House (2nd floor), Southampton Row, London, WC1B 4AD
20 March 2019 - 6.00 – 8.00 pm (registration 5.30 – 6.00 pm)
To find out more about these opportunities and to view a short video about life in the CMA Legal Service, please go to:
All CMA staff enjoy generous benefits, including:
- An excellent pension scheme
- 25 days leave (increasing to 30 days over five years)
- Favourable consideration of flexible working
- Generous maternity/paternity leave provision
- Interest-free season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme and our employee wellbeing programme
To find out more about this opportunity and about working for the CMA, please click on the APPLY button.
Please note that we are also separately advertising for G7 Legal Adviser/G6 Assistant Legal Directors. We would encourage you to review the job descriptions for both levels; please submit an application for the campaign(s) you would like to be considered for.
Closing date for applications: 1 April 2019.
Interviews will take place as follows:
- London - during weeks commencing 22 April and 29 April 2019.
- Edinburgh – Wednesday 8 May 2019.
The CMA is an accredited Disability Confident Employer and are Stonewall Diversity Champions. As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome suitably qualified applicants from all backgrounds and recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.