Counsel, Brand & Content IP (Europe)
Counsel, Content & Brand IP (Europe)
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries.
To bring joy to global audiences, we need truly global content; that doesn't always come from Hollywood. As we scale our original content in Europe, our Content & Brand IP team is in search of an intellectual property and production clearance counsel to advise film and television productions and executives on all matters related to intellectual property issues. Those include chain of title research, title clearance, production clearance, IP enforcement, claim defense, and negotiating license agreements. This role will closely collaborate with the creative, business, and legal teams that create Netflix’s great content.
As IP Counsel, your intellectual property experience enables you to work across any situation that may be encountered related to a production. You aren’t phased by the last minute surprises that inevitably arise when shooting a film, series or documentary. You can navigate those situations while allowing your studio colleagues to fulfill their creative and business goals. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, production departments, marketing and creative, and know when and how to align the appropriate teams when an IP issue arises. You have experience evaluating risk with imperfect information and have the confidence to make quick decisions. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you are able to improve upon systems to gain efficiency. You are passionate about the entertainment industry and are excited to learn more about the business from a non-traditional perspective.
This is an opportunity to shape the future of entertainment. The successful candidate will love working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. That candidate will also thrive in an environment that values thoughtful efficiency over process, and knows how to work with organizations that may not hold the same beliefs.
The role will report to Director & Senior Counsel, Content and Brand IP based in London. Some travel throughout Europe and occasional travel to the US will be required.
- 5-8 years experience of working as an IP lawyer in the entertainment industry.
- Production clearance experience in film and/or television, including managing production personnel, script researchers and outside vendor, and negotiating and drafting license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
- Good knowledge of filmed entertainment and the production process, with strong ties to world class law firms and vendors in the entertainment industry.
- Deep understanding of UK IP law, including copyright, moral rights, trade marks, fair dealing, rights of publicity/privacy, and freedom of speech.
- Experience with complex copyright transactions.
- Some experience with chain of title review, analysis and copyright transactions.
- Experience managing heavy workflow independently.
- Outstanding communication skills and a bias toward creative thinking.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment interacting with productions, cross-functional departments, and vendors.
- Highly collaborative and responds positively to change and new ideas.
- Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
- Fluency in a European language a strong plus, but isn't required.
- Sense of humor!
- Identify IP-related risks in our content and communicate them to the necessary stakeholders.Collaborate with business and legal affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution.
- Conduct and analyze trademark clearances, including multi-jurisdiction searches.
- Manage intellectual property claims in a pre-litigation context.
- Implement production clearance strategies for UK content.
- Conduct chain of title review and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
- Conduct due diligence on complex rights acquisitions.
- Negotiate and draft license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
- Rapidly respond to production clearance issues.
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button.