In-house Legal Counsel
In-house Legal Counsel
Sumo Group floated on AIM in December 2017 and is one of the UK’s largest providers of creative and development services to the video games and entertainment industries.
The Group's two operating businesses, Sumo Digital and Atomhawk employ over 480 people across studios in Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and Brighton and internationally in Pune, India and Vancouver, Canada.
Sumo Digital, established in 2003, is one of the UK’s largest independent developers of AAA-rated video games, providing both turnkey and co-development solutions to an international blue-chip client base. Atomhawk, which was acquired in June 2017, is a visual design company providing creative services to the full spectrum of the entertainment industry, including games, TV and film.
This is the first role for an in-house lawyer created by the Group’s General Counsel and Company Secretary, and addresses a number of legal, commercial and corporate governance needs in a rapidly growing and fast-moving organisation.
Based at the Group headquarters in Sheffield the appointee will play a key role in all legal matters affecting the Group’s operations. Activities are likely to include acquisitions, commercial contracts of varying levels of complexity and value with global brands in the media, technology and entertainment industries and the full range of governance requirements for an AIM listed company. You will advise key stakeholders on legal risk and regulation, and help make decisions on legal matters across the entire spectrum from IP and technology through to real estate and employment. Variety is guaranteed.
The Group continues to draw upon the specialist skills of a range of external law firms, and you’ll play a key part in maintaining and developing these relationships and shaping the way legal work is resourced in the future.
To be considered for this legal role:
- You must be a UK qualified solicitor with a well-supervised legal training from a respected commercial law firm or a busy in-house legal department.
- Your experience can come from a range of the mainstream commercial practice areas, such as corporate finance, M&A, commercial contracts, technology, media, entertainment or intellectual property.
To succeed, the appointee will be someone who:
- Has high levels of drive, a sense of urgency and responds well to pressure and deadlines;
- Identifies with corporate goals and develops productive relationships with non-legally qualified colleagues in order to achieve them;
- Sets high standards for themselves when it comes to getting the details right; and
- Thrives on solving problems and interacting in a team environment.
- High levels of responsibility, visibility and inclusion. Sound legal advice will underpin all areas of UK and international expansion, whether organic or by corporate acquisition, and you will engage regularly with the board and senior management team.
- Career development prospects. For an ambitious “number 2” with the right skills and competencies, meritocratic advancement here could be quicker than in many larger companies. You will be part of the company’s future growth from a very early stage.
- Very modern and relaxed working environment.
- Great access to the M1 motorway for commuting from the areas around Leeds, Nottingham and Derby.
This in-house legal recruitment assignment is being handled exclusively by Andy Balmer and Miguel Florit of our retained search consultants Florit Legal and all direct or third-party applications will be forwarded to them for consideration.
To apply, please email your CV, together with details of your current or most recent basic salary and package to: firstname.lastname@example.org