Debenhams is currently embarking on a business wide transformation via our Debenhams Redesigned strategy. We are focused on putting our customers at the heart of everything we do, investing heavily in analytics to further understand our shoppers and allow us to deliver a 'confidence boosting, sociable and fun' experience.
We are placing emphasis on our in-store and digital experience, to make Debenhams a leading Digital and Different high street Destination. In order to achieve our exciting new goals, we need the best talent in the market!
If you bring an innovative, collaborative and customer centric approach, and aren’t afraid of a challenge we want to talk to you!
Legal Counsel (Full-Time or Part-Time)
Debenhams is entering an unprecedented period of change to deliver our ambition to make shopping confidence building, sociable and fun. Our Legal Team will continue to play a key part in enabling this transformation to ensure the continued growth and success of our business.
What you’ll be doing…
As one of our in-house lawyers, you will work closely with the Head of Legal to provide commercial and legally robust solutions to the full range of business divisions within Debenhams, including Finance, Fashion & Home and Beauty.
The key responsibilities include:
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on general commercial contracts including; IT, wholesale and consignment, licensing, concessions and supplier terms and conditions
- Advising on GDPR best practice and supporting on issues should they arise
- Advising on IP matters including copyright, design, trademarks and infringements
- Dealing with issues relating to customer complaints, consumer credit and personal finance
- Reviewing and advising on the Company’s advertising, promotional and marketing material for in-store, website, direct mail and the media
- Managing external litigation and liaising with external advisors
- Demonstrating the Debenhams behaviours through how work is delivered
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity
What you will bring…
- This role would suit a qualified solicitor who has between 1 and 5 years post qualified experience
- Good understanding of commercial law with some experience of litigation
- Strong stakeholder management skills, with the ability to adapt your communication style to a variety of client groups, including the Exec team
- Relevant in-house experience, or some retail sector experience gained whilst working in a legal practice
- Confident in your ability to work under pressure, and make complex issues simple
What you will get in return…
- Up to 25% discount in stores and online
- Access to external discounts and promotions through Perks@Debenhams
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
To support this business transformation, our people need to demonstrate:
Energy – One Team – Ownership – Ambition
MAKE IT HAPPEN – MAKE IT BRILLIANT – WE’LL BACK YOU ALL THE WAY