Assume a position of influence at the heart of governance operations
Become a qualified Chartered Secretary in one year with ICSA: The Governance Institute’s Fast Track Professional route.
Company secretaries are governance professionals who hold a strategic position of considerable influence at the heart of governance operations within an organisation. Company secretaries have a broad skill set – corporate law, finance, governance, strategy and corporate secretarial practice – and they advise a company's board in these key areas, providing support to the chair, CEO and non-executive directors.
The ICSA qualifying programme is specifically designed to qualify you for work in governance and compliance. As a qualified law practitioner with more than 5 years’ experience, we understand that you may already demonstrate familiarity with many legal and financial matters. All we require you to complete are two modules which will ensure you have the specific knowledge required of a governance professional.
As a company secretary you will:
- guide and support the chairman and board on their responsibilities
- ensure good information flows within the board and its committees
- maintain good shareholder relations and keep the board informed on shareholders' views
- develop and oversee the systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable codes in addition to its legal and statutory requirements
- monitor changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment taking action accordingly and oversee the day-to-day administration of the company.
By completing the ICSA Fast Track Professional route you will earn an internationally recognised professional qualification that will allow you to work across a variety of sectors, in a varied and multifaceted role.
You will gain:
- chartered status within one year
- qualify immediately for Associate chartered status
- an internationally recognised qualification that you can use across the public, private and not-for-profit sectors
- the skills to help your organisation move ahead with confidence, secure in the knowledge that is backed by solid governance practices.
As a lawyer, you will need to be a member of the Bar or Law Society for your jurisdiction, or compliant with the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Regulations and have more than 5 years’ experience.
Registration, student membership, exemptions and exam entry = £1,845
“I had the opportunity to shadow a company secretary and I found myself more drawn towards what he did as a company secretary than as a lawyer because every day was different” – Zainab Odutola, Assistant Company Secretary, Burberry Group plc.