Legal Counsel (in-house)
Who we are
Hampshire Trust Bank is a specialist bank, staffed by experts focused on helping UK businesses realise their ambitions.
Our dedicated asset finance, property finance and specialist mortgages teams ensure that businesses receive the outstanding service, lasting relationships, integrity and expertise they need to prosper.
We also provide savings accounts to individuals and businesses and since we lend to SMEs, our savers can be sure their money will help boost the British economy.
About the Department
- The Bank’s General Counsel provides expert legal advice for the purposes of enabling the Bank to meet its commercial objectives and effectively manage the legal risk of the Bank.
- The Bank is growing rapidly and, with that growth, there is greater demand for internal legal advice and support.
- This role, directly supports the General Council and will work across all stakeholder groups, including the Board, the Executive Committee, the Chief Finance Officer, the Chief Risk officer, all frontline business and support teams and their heads.
About the Role
The General Counsel is responsible for the matters set out below and the Legal Counsel is required to provide support and assistance to the General Counsel to ensure that these matters are effectively managed:
Advisory - providing proactive, expert and commercially oriented legal advice to stakeholders;
Policy - maintain the Bank’s Legal Risk policy;
Reporting - design and effectively report on the status of the Bank’s Legal Risk;
Change in Law - proactively identify any relevant changes in law, regulation or legal market practice, assess the impact of those changes;
Data Protection – overseeing the Bank’s compliance with relevant data protection law and regulation;
Customer Arrangements - ensure that the Bank’s customer facing agreements and terms and conditions meet all applicable legal or regulatory requirements;
Business Processes - ensure that the Bank’s business processes meet all applicable legal or regulatory requirements and mitigate Legal Risk in line with the Bank’s risk appetite;
Third Party Arrangements - ensure that contractual arrangements with third parties meet all applicable legal or regulatory requirements, meet the commercial objectives of the Bank, are in line with legal market practice and mitigate Legal Risk in line with the Bank’s risk appetite;
External Solicitors – ensure that the Bank engages appropriate external advisers when required;
Business Change – provide effective legal advice and support in relation to the implementation of new business initiatives and business change;
Contentious - provide effective legal advice and support in relation to actual and potential litigation and disputes and;
People – provide any necessary legal and regulatory training to ensure that the Bank’s people are able to conduct their roles with due regard to relevant Legal Risk.
- Legal Counsel (admitted to practice in England) with 2-3 years pqe.
- Trained and practiced either
- in-house within the legal team at a bank or
- in private practice at a city law firm or large regional law firm within an established banking/financial services team whose main clients are banks.
- Must have core experience in at least one (ideally more) of:
- Residential property development finance / commercial mortgages / buy-to-let mortgages (drafting and negotiating loan and security documentation),
- Asset Finance (small / medium ticket) asset finance (e.g. CCA regulated and non-regulated HP and lease documentation for cars, trucks , IT equipment, etc),
- Savings accounts (drafting terms and conditions advising on account opening and management issues),
- Commercial contracts (e.g. drafting and negotiating NDAs, supplier contracts, IT licences and support services contracts).
- Hard working, willing to learn and to get involved in the full spectrum of legal work that arises on a day-to-day basis at a specialist bank.
To apply please use the Apply button, sending a copy of your CV and a cover letter highlighting your suitability for the role and your current remuneration package and aspirations for the future.
Apply for Legal Counsel (in-house)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly