Head of Legal Affairs, The All England Lawn Tennis Club
Founded in 1868, The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) is a private members' club which organises and stages The Championships, Wimbledon. The tournament is widely considered to be the world's premier tennis event, and one of the world's great sporting occasions.
The AELTC's business covers a range of distinct areas including event management, facilities management, ticketing, broadcast and digital media rights, sponsorship, food and drink, retail and hospitality together with the many information technology systems required to deliver The Championships.
The AELTC has delivered substantial top-line growth in recent years and expects that growth to continue in conjunction with an exciting investment programme in the years ahead, including the construction of a retractable roof over No.1 Court which is scheduled to be completed in time for the 2019 Championships.
Overview of the role:
Due to continued growth and aspiration, the Board has approved the exciting new position of Head of Legal Affairs, reporting to the Financial Director. The role will involve day to day responsibility for commercial contracts and compliance across a variety of matters. The role will ultimately extend into a wide range of the AELTC's activities as the legal point of contact.
As a first time Head of Legal Affairs, the successful applicant will drive a cost efficient and effective strategy to develop legal as a strong in-house function.
Key responsibilities include:
- Commercial contracts for broadcasters, agencies and sponsors
- Event and facilities commercial legal matters
- Aligning AELTC's risk profile
- Engaging stakeholders at all levels
- Setting the legal framework for the organisation moving forward
- Compliance (including data protection) and industry specific regulatory work
- UK Qualified Solicitor with strong law firm training
- A minimum of 6 years' post qualification experience
- Ideally some exposure to an in-house legal environment
- Extensive complex commercial contract experience
- Comfortable with stakeholders at the highest level
What we can offer:
- A unique and challenging role within a changing, spirited and world-renowned sports organisation.
- The opportunity to shape a new in-house legal function.
For more information please contact our exclusively retained consultant Jonathan Cartwright at Pure Search. All third-party applications will be forwarded to Pure Search for consideration.