Legal Counsel (sole) – Volvo Cars
Position reports to the Head of EMEA Legal with a matrix reporting line to the Managing Director of Volvo Car UK Limited (“VCUK”).
- Maidenhead, Berkshire, United Kingdom.
- A reasonable amount of travel is expected, including to Gothenburg (Sweden) and Dublin (Ireland). Possibility to do some work in VCUK’s brand new Training and Development Centre in Daventry, Northamptonshire.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a mid-senior level broad commercial lawyer, with a passion for the automotive industry and/or wanting to be part of a modern global in-house legal team. You will perform the function of Volvo Cars’ Sole Counsel in the UK, working closely with the business in the UK and internationally, based out of the head office in Maidenhead.
VCUK is looking for an engaged, ambitious, pro-active and commercial lawyer to support Volvo Cars’ business primarily in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The lawyer will also work with legal colleagues in other countries and support in general EMEA and other matters. The role is likely to evolve as the business grows and the person develops.
Description of Legal
Besides providing legal advice and recommending the course of action in specific matters, Legal offers legal training and is engaged in developing polices, instructions, guidelines as well as agreement templates and other tools, which can be used throughout the Volvo Cars organisation. Legal’s objectives are to support the Volvo Car Group in achieving its business objectives and by providing support add value, protect the interest of Volvo Cars and minimise legal risks. Legal represents the Volvo Cars organisation in legal disputes and other complex contacts or negotiations with its business partners.
- Provides primarily VCUK and Volvo Car Ireland with legal support including legal research and legal advice in all kind of commercial matters, including but not limited to document and contract drafting, negotiation and supervision of external legal advisors providing support in matters requiring external specialist support. Company Secretary for VCUK
- Handles most if not all matters independently and assumes full responsibility in relation to VCUK’s and Volvo Car Ireland’s top management.
- Supports the Head of EMEA Legal and other senior colleagues in matters relating to EMEA and/or Global Consumer Experience.
- Instrumental in making sure that VCUK and Volvo Car Ireland are compliant with applicable rules regarding e.g. fair competition and anti-bribery.
- Provides internal legal training within EMEA and is engaged in the development of legal tools, templates and communication material.
- Qualified lawyer with grades in the upper tier.
- At least 7 years of experience in practising business law at a law firm and/or in-house.
Desired Competences - Functional knowledge and experience
- Sufficient experience and knowledge of relevant legal areas and a high degree of autonomy to handle the key responsibilities. We are looking for a candidate with at least basic experience from most of the following legal areas:
- Competition law relevant for the distribution sector (vertical agreements);
- Marketing and consumer law (particularly in a digital environment);
- GDPR/privacy law; and
- Regulations related to financial services and the FCA.
- Proven commercial interest and understanding along with a basic financial understanding and awareness.
- Proven ability to define and solve complicated legal problems, which require careful analysis and considerable legal skills and good judgement.
- Proven ability to provide qualified advice, sometimes in complex matters and often under time pressure, which adds value to the business.
- Interest in and ability to find areas of improvements and drive change within a legal team.
- Preferably tech savvy and willing to embrace legal innovation.
Desired Competences - Independence
- Able to provide the organisation with independent legal advice and support
- Experience to assume the full responsibility in relation to VCUK’s and Volvo Car Ireland’s top management.
- Able to execute his/her work within the framework and time set by relevant stakeholders, with no or limited guidance from other senior legal colleagues.
- Ability to respectfully challenge relevant stakeholders when required.
Desired Competences - Business, people, communication etc.
- An ambitious and pro-active team player with a service oriented mind-set and acting with integrity, accountability and commitment.
- Proven communication skills with the ability to engage, influence and convince others and to handle all legal aspects in commercial projects.
- Ability to contribute to the effective operation of a team through liaison and cooperation without any managerial role or position.
- Ability to apply a commercial and customer oriented approach when fulfilling tasks and duties.
- Sound business acumen and ability to translate legal advice to recommendations helpful for the business.
A competitive salary and excellent benefits are on offer for this role, so please do get in touch if you are interested in learning more.
To apply for this role please click the Apply button or contact our Nick Wilkins on +44 (0)20 7332 9603 or firstname.lastname@example.org