Allen & Overy has one of the world’s leading International Arbitration practices, with a long and successful track record of achieving successful outcomes for our clients in high-value, complex disputes.
We act as advocates, sit as arbitrators, and are able to act in arbitrations arising anywhere in the world, under any national legal system, as well as under public international law. We have extensive experience under all the major institutional rules and are at the forefront of resolving disputes that arise under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties. Our experience includes bringing the very first arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and we have since acted in more Energy Charter Treaty cases than any other law firm. We have significant experience in handling investment treaty proceedings under both the ICSID Convention and the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. We act for both investors and states. We are recognised as one of the leading firms for arbitrations in a number of sectors, including those relating to financial products, energy (including gas pricing) and natural resources.
We are looking for an associate with a strong international arbitration background, which will include a range of experience in commercial arbitrations and, preferably, experience of, investment treaty arbitration and public international law, to join our thriving practice.
Role and responsibilities
The successful candidate will join the specialist international arbitration group at Allen & Overy which currently consists of four partners, two counsel and approximately 20 associates. You will represent clients in complex, high-value commercial arbitrations conducted under all the major arbitral rules, including those of the LCIA and ICC, in relation to which your typical responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- The drafting of notes of advice, written pleadings and other materials;
- Working with factual and expert witnesses in relation to the preparation of their evidence;
- Drafting correspondence relating to the case, including with the tribunal; and
- Working with the team in relation to matters such as document production.
You will also work on high profile investment treaty arbitration matters, acting for both investors and sovereign states, and will be expected to play take an active role in relation to case management issues You will also provide public international law advice to a broad range of clients in the energy and infrastructure sectors
- Qualified lawyer, with at least 2 years post qualification experience in international arbitration, investment treaty arbitration or public international law
- A highly motivated individual who enjoys working in a dynamic environment for high profile clients on major international disputes
- The ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and initiative as required
- A strong focus on team work and collaboration
- Intellectual curiosity and versatility
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Friendly and personable approach